We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French Riviera in 3 days from Frejus

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
44 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
French Riviera in 3 days from Frejus

Hi,

I am planning to travel from Geneva by car during the last week of May.

I have a 19 month old infant. I have booked a cottage near Frejus\St Rafael.

Upon arrival, I will have 2.5 days to spend in the region.

Can you please recommend a good plan ? (assuming I would be driving from from the base location around Frejus)

My interest: Cannes, Monaco and Nice.

Atleast one sand beach (kids friendly)

Rgds

Deepak

Finland
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: French Riviera in 3 days from Frejus

The most convenient way to visit Monaco and Nice would perhaps be to take the TER train from Frejus station. Great views almost all the way, no traffic and parking issues. You can entertain and feed the child during the train ride easier than in the car. Combining Monaco and Nice both in one day, however, is so-so, you will be on the run the whole day and would not have time to see too much. Note that Monaco is extremely vertical so moving about with the baby trolley is not optimal. There is a local bus connection in Monaco, making it easier to reach e.g. Jardin Exotique and Monte Carlo. There are plenty of lifts, too, which you will have to use in order to manage moving about. There are underground car parks in Monaco and Nice, well marked. Most of them also appear on portable GPS devices.

Cannes can be reached by driving the corniche along the coast (access from St Raphael center). Reserve some time and remember to concentrate on steering instead of the great views. I would perhaps choose to do the Cannes trip by car, and set up an agenda for one whole day. Something nearby like Antibes / Cap d Antibes could perhaps be added to that visit.

2,5 days is not much time, so I should think good planning is important. You should e.g. try to avoid the rush hours, so you should leave very early or leave at about or some after 9, and return either clearly before 18 or around 19. On weekdays, the traffic is heavily congested from the west side of Cannes all the way to the exit of Monaco on A8 at peak hours. The distances in kms are not that bad, but moving about will take a good deal of your precious time. The corniche can be very crowded on occasions.

An alternative to these very usual visits would be the coast west from Frejus. Nice more laid-back villages and nice sights. The coastal area from say Giens peninsula to Frejus is worth a visit, I think. There is a nice small old town in Hyeres les Palmiers. The sandy private (payable) beaches between La Londe and Bormes (around Fort de Bregancon) are exceptional. There are also vineyards to visit etc. A good alternative to the crowded yet traditional tourist towns.

A not so bad alternative would be to spend most of the time in St Raphael and Frejus, with perhaps one day trip by car to Cannes driving by the corniche. This would maximize your quality time compared to all the driving and parking required otherwise.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: French Riviera in 3 days from Frejus

There is also a response on your other thread with this question. Just click on your name to find it.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
44 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: French Riviera in 3 days from Frejus

Thanks so much.This is very helpful :)

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
44 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: French Riviera in 3 days from Frejus

Thanks for your replies.It was helpful.

However, I have changed my plan now.

I would now be flying instead of driving from geneva.

I would be based in Cannes and would have 4 days to spend in the riviera region.

I will be travelling with family ( 1.5 year old infant) and plan to use public transport.

Some of the places I plan to cover are:

Saint Paul de Vence

Ventimiglia

Monaco

Nice

Eze

couple of sandy beaches.

Can someone suggest how to cover these places and probably other good places in 4 days time?

Best Regards

Deepak

Finland
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: French Riviera in 3 days from Frejus

Nice, Monaco and Ventimiglia (on Italian side) each can all be accessed very easily by train from Cannes. No need to change trains or anything.

For Eze, hop off the same train at Beaulieu sur Mer station, and continue from there by bus to Eze-Village. There is also a bus connection between Eze and Monaco, as well as between Eze and Nice. Beware of congested traffic and buses packed with people (at peak hours, you will have to be at the bus stop well ahead in order to fit in the bus...)

For St Paul de Vence, take a bus. Line 400 goes there from Nice. You can hop on the bus also at Cagnes sur Mer, where you get either by train or bus from Cannes. A bit challenging maybe, but doable. There is no bus line from Cannes to St Paul.

See www.lignesdazur.com for more information about the buses and www.voyages-sncf.fr for the trains

6. Re: French Riviera in 3 days from Frejus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 01:16
Get answers to your questions about Frejus