We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from Menton, directions to A8 toward Italy

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
from Menton, directions to A8 toward Italy

I will be staying in Menton at the Hotel Royal Westminster.

What is the easiest way to reach the A8/autostrada heading toward Italy? I want to avoid switchbacks to the extent possible so kindly give me the best road.

I noticed that there is an exit 59 for Menton but could not determine if this exit will get me in the direction of Italy or if there is another exit 60 further toward Italy

Also, I intend to drive the coastal road from Nice through Monaco and on to Menton. Is this a good road?

Thank you

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from Menton, directions to A8 toward Italy

I've only done this path by train.

Have you tried viamichelin.com to see how they tell you how to go?

When you finally do it, one of those GPS navigation systems like a Garmin Nuvi makes things remarkably easy if you can get a hold of one of those.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: from Menton, directions to A8 toward Italy

Mind you - Menton is "hilly".

denver
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: from Menton, directions to A8 toward Italy

The coast road is good (I think it is the N7) for timid drivers. I takes longer and the traffic can be awaful, but on the next road up (the moyenne corniche?) there are a lot of switchbacks and 'Oh my God' views - pretty, but not my kind of driving. When are you going? August can be hours of traffic jams on these lower roads, and the A8 is probably a better bet.

Good Luck!

France
Level Contributor
685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from Menton, directions to A8 toward Italy

There are at least 3 sets of roadworks on the basse corniche at the moment between Nice and Monaco so be warned - it'll be a long journey!

5. Re: from Menton, directions to A8 toward Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 22:20
Get answers to your questions about Menton
Recent Conversations