We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Menton to Lucca , Italy

Ottawa
Level Contributor
288 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Menton to Lucca , Italy

Hello travellers,

I am looking at going to Lucca from Menton, by train.

The journey is going to require 4 changes of train.

Have you done that trip, would you have any suggestion ?

Thank you,

Masaryk

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,232 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Menton to Lucca , Italy

What sort of suggestions are you looking for?

Make sure you do not have so much luggage that you have difficulties getting it on and off the trains.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Menton to Lucca , Italy

We've actually done a trip that included Lucca to the Cote d'Azur, specifically to Cannes, and it did mean a lot of trains. However, we didn't do this in one day. Our trip was i nthe reverse of yours, but I hope what I can contribute helps.

Our set out towards the Cote d'Azur was from Pisa, and the scenery between Pisa and Genoa was spectacular. This won't be a "travel day" but a "why I travel" stretch, and it has been one of our most memorable experiences. Position yourself on the coastal side of the train, and even better, we found a dining car with a plate glass window and enjoyed the scenery over a glass of wine. We overnighted in Genoa before heading to France, and it's something you might consider if your schedule allows. You will probably change to a TER train in Ventimiglia and this won't be the most luxurious part of your trip, but Menton is a stop away, and these trains are relatively frequent and "walk on," meaning no reservations. If you haven't already done this, here is how you can look at that schedule:

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Default.aspx

1) Select the “04 Mandelieu – Cannes – Nice – Ventimiglia” route from the “My Line” list and “Validate.”

2) Under “My search results,” select the same route and you will get to the PDF. For the route in the other direction, scroll down through the pages.

Our travel was for both business and pleasure so we had a lot of luggage and as sydnetnick suggests, it wasn't our favorite thing to do...but we did it.

Hope this helps!

Edited: 27 July 2013, 04:46
Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,034 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Menton to Lucca , Italy

Fare and booking-wise:

Book from Ventimiglia to Lucca from €19 or so at the Italian Railways site www.trenitalia.com

Then simply buy a Menton to Ventimiglia local ticket for a few euros at the station and hop on the next half hourly local train to Ventimiglia.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,553 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Menton to Lucca , Italy

Some connections have only three changes of train, not four, at Ventimiglia, Genoa and Viareggio. See www.trenitalia.com clicking the UK flag first for English than entering Ventimiglia to Lucca and the 'hour' of departure e.g. '13' for 13.00.

The three changes journey is possible all day, but in the mornings requires a longer wait in Genoa so the additional change in la Spezia gives a slightly faster journey. If travelling after September 8, note that trains which are labelled 'sold out' are not sold out but are not yet on sale, as they will be re-timed soon due to major tunnel repairs.

A direct link to Menton-Ventimiglia times is here …ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/fh_4_site_…

It is advisable to allow at least 30 minutes to change trains at Ventimiglia, in case of late-running trains in France. The Intercity trains from Ventimiglia to Genoa run every two hours with a four hour gap at lunchtime, and better a planned wait of a possibly unnecessary 30 minutes than an unplanned wait of hours.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
288 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Menton to Lucca , Italy

Thank you all for your information !

Masaryk

Ottawa
Level Contributor
288 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Menton to Lucca , Italy

Hello ation

My question is for Troggs. Thank you for all the info about transportation from Lucca to Cannes.

I may stay overnight in Genoa. I have been reading about the dangers of the city.

Could you tell me what you think about safety for a woman traveling solo ?

Thanks again,

Masaryk

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
7. Re: Menton to Lucca , Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Menton
Recent Conversations