We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice in February

Valley Village, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Nice in February

We're planning a 2 week trip to France (los angeles to Paris) in February which we know is not a very pleasant month weatherwise but we will dress and plan accordingly. I'm wondering about others' experiences visitng France in the winter - I understand NIce might be a good choice for a couple of days. Where else? Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
167 Reviews
US$99 per adult
Free Cancellation
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
654 Reviews
US$106 per adult
Free Cancellation
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
417 Reviews
US$128 per adult
Free Cancellation
9 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,382 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice in February

Google "average temperature nice february" in case you were thinking Nice might be warm in February. I assume that's why you thought about going there. Nowhere in France is warm during winter months, though what one considers warm is subjective.

As far as where you should go that is too broad a question to give a relevant answer. Will you rent a car or are you relying on public transport? Where will you arrive at and depart from? What specific dates? I suggest getting some guidebooks about France and do some research and decide what places interest you and if they're worth visiting in February. If you really want to visit France and February is your only month that's fine. But if you're looking to go someplace with warm temps in February then Europe isn't the place.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,552 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice in February

Your question is WAY too broad to get a reasoned answer.

It is akin to asking "I am going to the USA.....where should I visit while I am there?"

Do some research.....read some guide books and come back and ask a more succinct question.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,432 posts
500 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice in February

What are your interests? Do you like urban areas or villages? Mountains or sea? Museums, art galleries, shopping, high end dining, bars..?

Where else in France will you be? How long will you have for the Nice area? 2 days is barely enough for Nice.

For Nice and the coast you're ok via train. Will you have a car and how are you getting to Nice?

I've spent many winters in the riviera and it is generally pleasant. You may get some rainy chilly days but never as cold as NY where I'm from. But you're from LA. You also may get lucky and have a day or several days of sunny 50-60s where people will be laying out at the beach or having drinks outside.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Nice, France
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice in February

If you're interested, Nice holds its annual Carnaval in February, which will be held from 17 February to 3 March 2018.

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice in February

The usual circuit from the US is to fly to Paris, and then after landing and going through customs fly directly from Paris to Nice. (Look at Air France/Delta for one.) Enjoy Nice and surrounding Cote d'Azur for a week or so, and then fly back to Paris. That way you're already in the city you fly home from. During your week in the Cote d'Azur, allocate 2+ days for Nice itself, and then consider Cannes, Antibes, Vence, St Paul de Vence, Villefranche, Eze, Monaco, and Menton.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France
France
Europe
Cannes
Cannes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Antibes
Antibes
Vence
Vence
St-Paul-de-Vence
St-Paul-de-Vence
Eze
Eze
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Menton
Menton
Nice, California
Level Contributor
336 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice in February

As other noted, weather in Nice and the Cote d'Azur is more temperate in February than the rest of France. But, think of the weather more like Northern California in February than LA. It also suffers less from the mistral winds that occur further to the west.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Nice, France
Level Contributor
346 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice in February

Nice is a great choice!

As Mmenice suggested in Nice there's Carnaval and the Bataille de Fleurs http://www.nicecarnaval.com/en/

And Menton has its Fête du Citron from 17 February https://www.fete-du-citron.com/?lang=en

Plus the ski fields are only a bus ride away!

Mentioned in this post
Menton
Menton
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
374 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice in February

Hi,

If going to Nice, take a trip to Eze, which is the one of the most beautiful villages in the south of France. Mougins is another option within 30 minutes of Nice.

Enjoy

David

Mentioned in this post
Eze
Eze
France
France
Europe
Mougins
Mougins
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
160 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice in February

I have spent 8 nights in feb in nice! The carnival was going on & the weather was nice -very sunny! The nice carnival is very good!

Also, after the nice carnival, was the lemon festival in menton! Easily reached by bus or train:)

Reply to: Nice in February
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted