We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a car or public transport is good enough?

London
Level Contributor
118 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Need a car or public transport is good enough?

Bonjour,

I will be in Nice for 5 days in December. Agenda is to go around city and visit other touristic places. Not much in to museum's or art.

Do I need a car to go around? (travelling with a 3 yr old).

Thanks

38 replies to this topic
Vence, France
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a car or public transport is good enough?

With a car you don't have to wait for the bus in rain.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,923 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a car or public transport is good enough?

It is a bit of a pain driving in and out of Nice, and you need to have parking, so I would say public transport is 'good enough' if you base in Nice. If you want to have a car and do lots of sightseeing, then perhaps base outside of Nice, e.g. St. Paul where parking is a non-issue and neither is driving in and out.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
10,920 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a car or public transport is good enough?

On the coast between Cannes and Menton i.e. the whole Riviera... including Antibes,Nice,Villefranche and Monaco ...I always use the train. Cheap and regular , two or three times an hour.

Tplus makes a good point about the rain , which is in winter more usual in sudden showers. But, of course, these can happen on the long walk from where you have had to park. Not to mention the charming French habit of bumping your car up to make space if you park on the street (make sure you leave the handbrake off ..it's considered good manners).

Ed

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Menton
Menton
Antibes
Antibes
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
London
Level Contributor
118 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a car or public transport is good enough?

Thanks guys. Like any city, looks like driving and parking is a challenge.

My initial question started after I saw a hotel listing said no parking and costs 28 euro a day to park in near by public parking.

I will have to decide what I'm going to see and decide on the car I think. In the meantime feel free to pour in your recommendations.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,923 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a car or public transport is good enough?

At 28 euro a pop, I would bring rain gear ;)

Edited: 15 September 2017, 20:29
Vence, France
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a car or public transport is good enough?

5 days in Parking Courvesy in the heart of nice will cost you 90 Euro, outside the center you'll find something at roadside.

With a car its more pleasant to stay e. g. in the St. Paul/Vence area.

Mentioned in this post
Vence
Vence
Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
8,869 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a car or public transport is good enough?

If you want want to visit the hinterland then a car is needed, but for 5 days based in Nice I wouldn't bother.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
346 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a car or public transport is good enough?

You really don't need a car if you're staying in Nice, because public transport here is so cheap and regular.

I even enjoy the hustle and bustle of catching the buses and trains in December as the excitement builds towards Christmas - plus instead of having to focus on the road and worry about parking, you can relax and look around!

Vence, France
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need a car or public transport is good enough?

Best place for catching infections, public transport.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,707 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need a car or public transport is good enough?

I agree that for a 5-day stay based in Nice or indeed for a month, the buses/trams and trains are just right.

If you're staying far away eg in Vence which the OP isn't doing, that would mean you'd have sleeping accommodation in that other place and catch the bus (or train depending where you're staying) back to the coast. One never needs a car to stay in central Nice or along this coast and to explore. Most people I know who live in central Nice for 5, 10, 20 or 50 years don't want the hassle of a car here. When they need one, they use 'Autobleue' Zen for a few hours so as to bring home something too big or heavy to carry.

Mentioned in this post
Vence
Vence
Reply to: Need a car or public transport is good enough?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted