We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips from Nice to Neighboring Towns

Boston...
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day Trips from Nice to Neighboring Towns

On Friday 6-Oct we plan on taking a full day trip to Eze / Monaco / Villefranche. Which one should we go first? By bus or by train? What time do we need to start leaving Nice and head out in order to be able to see all 3 towns?

On Sat 7-Oct we plan on taking another full day trip to Cannes / Antibes / St Paul de Vence. Again, which one should we go first? By bus or by train? What time do we need to start leaving Nice and head out in order to be able to see all 3 towns?

Basically we would like to see all 6 towns in those 2 days if possible. We will have the ZOU pass which allow us 50% off on all TER train travels.

10 replies to this topic
Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips from Nice to Neighboring Towns

For Antibes, Cannes, St Paul de Vence, refer to trainline.eu for train schedules to Antibes and Cannes. From either Antibes or Cannes, take a train to Cagnes-sur-Mer and then bus #400 to St Paul de Vence. Please read reply #4 in the following link, which provides directions on finding the bus stop in Cagnes-sur-Mer.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18724…

The following link shows a general timetable and the miscellaneous stops:

https:/…dpt06-cadredevie_lignes_400.pdf

It has been years since I have been to Cannes and have never been to Antibes. This is an ambitious schedule, as you will want to spend some time in St Paul, IMO. The artist, Chagall, is buried in the local cemetery.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,289 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips from Nice to Neighboring Towns

The advice in that link for St Paul de Vence is indeed still relevant. A 7 euro train ticket to Cannes allows you get off at Cagnes sur Mer (for the 400 bus)and Antibes. The journey from Nice to Cannes takes 40 minutes in one go. Personally I advise you visit Cannes first and stop at Antibes on the way back...more atmospheric and a better choice of restaurants.

Eze is a bit like St Paul de V ...you must take a bus from Nice. No.82 or 112. 112 goes on to Monaco and you can take a train back to Nice, getting off at Villefranche on the way.Again I would suggest Villefranche, especially for a portside meal on the way back. Monaco to Nice takes 20 minutes in one go.

Ed

Boston...
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips from Nice to Neighboring Towns

So for Fri 6-Oct, don't take the train, but take the bus from Nice #82 or #112 to Eze first, walk around for 2 hrs or so, then take only bus #112 to Monaco (4 hrs or so). How much is the bus ticket? Then after finish with Monaco, buy a train ticket (I'll have the Zou pass for 50% off TER traiin) with final destination being Nice. But on the way, stop by Villefrance (4 hrs or so) before returning back to Nice? Where can I find the timetable for the bus to Eze then to Monaco, as well as the train from Monaco to Villefrance and Villefrance to Nice? What time do you recommend I start this day trip to see all 3 cities (what time is the latest in the morning)?

For Sat 7-Oct, first take the train to Cannes (I'll have the Zou pass for 50% off TER train), spend 3 hrs there. Then take the train from Cannes to Cagnes sur Mer, get off there, then take bus #400 for St Paul de Vence (3 hrs there). Lastly, take a bus from St Paul de Vence to Antibes, spend 3 to 4 hrs there before taking train back to Nice. Again, where is the timetable for the bus/train? The #400 only goes from Nice to St Paul de Vence, I don't see Cagnes sur Mer on the bus timetable. What time do you recommend I start this day trip to see all 3 cities (what time is the latest in the morning)?

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,289 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips from Nice to Neighboring Towns

All bus fares are 1.50 euro nearly anywhere e.g. Nice to Eze, Eze to Monaco, Cagnes sur Mer to St Paul DV. The train from Monaco to Nice costs 3.90 euro one way, Nice to Cannes 7 euro. So you may find it cheaper to buy single tickets than the 16 euro Day Pass (new name of the one day Zou Pass) depending on your plans for the day.

On reflection,taking the 400 bus directly from Nice to St Paul may be more convenient, cutting out the need to transfer at Cagnes sur Mer. Go back to Cagnes by the same bus to take the train to Antibes and Cannes.

Ed

Edited: 20 September 2017, 17:09
Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips from Nice to Neighboring Towns

"The #400 only goes from Nice to St Paul de Vence, I don't see Cagnes sur Mer on the bus timetable." The stops are listed in the right column. Zoom in and scroll down. The daily schedule lists timed stops, such as Square Bourdet, which is two stops prior to Square du 8 mai. Use this time as an estimate.

Nice to Eze Village - bus 82

lherm.nice.free.fr/bus%20ligne%2082.pdf

Eze to Monte Carolo - bus 112

https:/…112.pdf

Monaco to Villefranche - bus 100, see page 2.

lifeinriviera.com/pdf/…100.pdf

If you want more exact times, look on the Lignes d'Azur webite:

1. Open the following website:

https://www.lignesdazur.com/en

2. On the right side under Timetables, enter the bus line number in Numero ou Nom de la Ligne. For example, type 82 and OK.

3. On the next page, scroll down to where it says Please select a route direction. This is the end of the bus line. To go to Eze Village, select Plateau de la Justice. To go to Nice, click Vauban.

4. Scroll down and enter the date and time. Click OK.

5. Scroll down. The screen will list the stops and times.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,289 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips from Nice to Neighboring Towns

Just to add to Mrs JAS post.

The 400 bus is an Interdepartmental bus ( goes outside Nice area) and appears on the 06 Horaires site, not the Lignes d'Azur site ( only Nice buses). The 400 does indeed go on to Vence after St Paul DV.

Ed

Boston...
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trips from Nice to Neighboring Towns

Actually I'll be purchasing the Zou train pass while I'm in Avignon Centre SNCF station which entitles me 50% off on all TER travels within PACA which includes Cote d'Azur.

For Day Trip #1, either 1) take bus #82 from Nice Vauban at 9am, arrive in Eze Village 38 min later, or 2) take bus #112 from Nice Vauban at 9am, arrive in Eze Village 30 min later at 9:30am (this one is shorter)? Walk around for 2 hrs, then take bus #112 from Eze Village at 11:30am, arrive in Monte Carlo 20 min later at 11:50am. Spend the next 4 hrs in Monaco, then buy a train ticket (3.90 Eur one way, but I'll have the Zou pass for 50% off TER train) with final destination Nice Gare SNCF. On the way to Nice, get off at Villefrance (4 hrs or so) before returning back to Nice? Or should I take bus #100 from Monaco at 16:00 and get off (which stop?) at Villafranche? Then train or bus back to Nice?

For Day Trip #2, take the #400 bus from Nice to St Paul (where's the timetable?). Then take the bus from from St.Paul to Antibes, then to Cannes (timetable for this and is this also bus #400). And I should take the TER train from Cannes back to Nice then at the end?

Sorry for all these questions, still pretty confused the timing and train/bus stops/times.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,289 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trips from Nice to Neighboring Towns

As I said in no.4 timetables for the 400 bus and all other interdepartmental buses...100 (Monaco and Menton) 200 (Antibes and Cannes) are on the "06 Horaires"website, so is 112 to Eze and Monaco.

Bus 82 timetable is on the "Lignes d'Azur" site...this is a Nice department bus.

All bus fares are 1.50 euro per trip.

Local train schedules / fares are on the TER PACA site.

Ed

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trips from Nice to Neighboring Towns

Buses from Monaco late afternoon can be very crowded. You may have to stand all the way to Villefranche,so I would get the train, especially as some drivers enjoy speeding and heavy braking.

Boston...
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trips from Nice to Neighboring Towns

Ok will go to the websites and plan out the travel times, thanks for your help!

Reply to: Day Trips from Nice to Neighboring Towns
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted