We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware the long inefficient lines at AutoEurope in Nice.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
72 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
Beware the long inefficient lines at AutoEurope in Nice.

We just flew to Nice and rented a car through AutoEurope in the Nice airport. They have you wait in line to then check in on a computer which just gives you a number (why?) for the line and then you wait, and wait, and wait because they were understaffed for the demand. I wish we had rented from someone else. All the other rental car counters had short or non-existent lines.

On top of the long wait for our car (two hours!) we returned the car in Paris at the train station. Heads up for anyone doing this, get directions to the rental car return if possible in advance. It is almost impossible to find. I had to go into the train station while my husband sat in an illegal spot, find the upstairs hidden AutoEurope office, to then get directions to an almost unmarked underground garage where you return the car. Not at all intuitive. I have rented from AutoEurope in the past and had great experiences. However, this was so bad that I'll most likely try Hertz or someone else next time.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
12 replies to this topic
Vence, France
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware the long inefficient lines at AutoEurope in Nice.

AutoEurope is a reseller. Which car-rental company was it?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
72 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware the long inefficient lines at AutoEurope in Nice.

You have to check in at AutoEurope to get your car. So, if Hertz or someone else owns the car, it was not transparent to us. In Italy, we presented a voucher and got our car through someone else but in France AutoEurope had their own desks, car rental returns, and cars.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
France
France
Europe
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,095 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware the long inefficient lines at AutoEurope in Nice.

PIcking up a rental in Europe usually is shockingly inefficient compared to the US quick start rentals. We waited two hours at Hertz in Rome FCO; it has always taken at least an hour in Paris.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware the long inefficient lines at AutoEurope in Nice.

My list of reasons to use public transportation when possible rather than renting a car in the Cote d'Azur: long lines at the airport rental counter, bad rental agencies, abundance of manual transmission cars, loads of Summer traffic, difficult narrow roads, distracting views, foreign signs, tolls, getting lost, electronic speed traps, door dings, expensive/limited parking, parking tickets, proliferation of pedestrian only areas, driving after a couple classes of wine, and overall stress…

Mentioned in this post
Cote Lounge
Cote Lounge
537 Reviews
Nice, France
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,548 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware the long inefficient lines at AutoEurope in Nice.

"AutoEurope had their own desks, car rental returns, and cars."

No, they absolutely do not..

Who was the actual provider?

Was it Europcar?

Is that what you have confused?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,924 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware the long inefficient lines at AutoEurope in Nice.

Do you mean you reserved your car through AutoEurope and picked your car up at Europcar. I very much doubt that AutoEurope, a US broker, has presence at Nice airport. Yes, airport pick up can be a fine zoo and you should have picked up your car downtown Nice.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware the long inefficient lines at AutoEurope in Nice.

We rented through AutoEurope for a car in France and, because they are merely a broker, picked up the car at the Hertz counter with no problems. And the customer phone support from AutoEurope has been outstanding

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
436 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware the long inefficient lines at AutoEurope in Nice.

I would NEVER rent a car at Nice airport. I have seen unbelievably long queues.

A few years ago my wife worked for a car hire company which recieved many customer complaints about waits of several hours. Nice was the worst. Customers noted that the wait for a car was longer than thier flight to Nice.

I would have hoped it was better now but seemingly not. We hire in and around the city centre whenever in Nice. Not convenient for some but it always worked out for us.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware the long inefficient lines at AutoEurope in Nice.

Unfortunately the Nice airport is the best option for a car with automatic transmission.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware the long inefficient lines at AutoEurope in Nice.

They'll pick you up at the airport.

www.locauto.fr

Office is 5 min. away.

Reply to: Beware the long inefficient lines at AutoEurope in Nice.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted