We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice to Paris...Help!

Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Nice to Paris...Help!

Hi,

So our plan was to Stay in Marseille one night as our flight lands there, two nights in Nice and then travel to Paris. However the train time from Nice to Paris (5hr40) seems very daunting.

Just wondering if anyone has any advise on whether we should just take the long train, fly (which is quicker and costs the same but security checks, long ques, baggage check in etc) or actually just stay in Avignon or Aix en Provence, travel to Nice for the day instead and then take the train to Paris when we need to?

Kind Regards

39 replies to this topic
Vence, France
Level Contributor
10,218 posts
149 reviews
1. Re: Nice to Paris...Help!

From Nice I would always fly.

Nice, California
Level Contributor
378 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Nice to Paris...Help!

Doing a day trip from Avignon or Aix to Nice and back is pretty lengthy as well, in terms of a round trip. The train to Paris does get pretty close in total travel time, if you intend to stay in Paris after Nice, when you count the time you are waiting for various forms of transport/luggage vs. just stepping on the train. I normally fly when my next destination is another plane or car. Note, there will be arguments on the total time -- but it also depends on how much time you feel you need to be at an airport in advance.

Edited: 09 January 2018, 17:13
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
215 posts
3. Re: Nice to Paris...Help!

We will be flying into Paris and then taking a train to Nice with a 3 day layover in Burgundy along the way. We really appreciate the leisure of the train and it provides more flexibility for cities you can visit on your route. We also are in the camp that doesn't think flying saves much time, if at all, but that is up for discussion, as I am sure you will find out.

Have a great trip either way!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,967 posts
526 reviews
4. Re: Nice to Paris...Help!

I take the train between Paris and nice. Time-wise it works out about the same (about an hour more) if you’re in Paris itself.

If you’re already at CDG then it may make more sense to fly.

By plane- about an hour to get to airport plus you need to be there an hour early. Plus time to get out of airport and get to Nice is about another hour. Plus flight itself. So total time is about 4.5 -5hours.

In Paris we normally stay somewhere near the train when traveling to or from Nice (Antibes actually). So usually 10 min to get to train and no need to get there an hour early and then train leaves us off right in town. So maybe 5-6 hours.

I’d rather take the train for 5-6 hours than the plane for 4.5. I hate airports and enjoy train rides.

Edited: 09 January 2018, 19:23
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Nice to Paris...Help!

If you're starting in Marseille skip Nice. Do Avignon or Aix-en-Provence instead.

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
94 reviews
6. Re: Nice to Paris...Help!

Here is another situation where an OP came to us too late after they created an issue. Why would you book a flight to Marseille when you want to be in Nice? Even if it seemed to save money at the time, that will be lost in time and money backtracking. If possible fly open jaw into Nice and out of Paris. And by the way it is much faster (including security, etc.) to fly from NCE to PAR...

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
215 posts
7. Re: Nice to Paris...Help!

Caseymorgan, please define "much faster"? What criteria are you using for your comparison?

Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Nice to Paris...Help!

Caseymorgan - No I haven’t created an issue. We happened to be flying to Marseille and thought whilst there, we could incorporate Nice into the trip. Hence why I was asking for advice. Since you don’t know the reason why we’re flying to Marseille (and no, it wasn’t to save costs) it’s perhaps better to refrain from making such unneccessary comments.

Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Nice to Paris...Help!

Thanks everyone for the help! There definitely is a train vs plane debate going !

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,967 posts
526 reviews
10. Re: Nice to Paris...Help!

Do the math as I suggest in my post. It really is close but people feel strongly. There are many posts on this. Not black and white.

There are many options near marseille if you don’t want to go all the way to Nice. Cassis, Avignon, Aix by public transport. By car, even more including villages of the luberon.

Edited: 10 January 2018, 03:14
Reply to: Nice to Paris...Help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted