We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost

2 posts
Save Topic
Cost

Is it expensive to eat and drink in Nice please?

19 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost

It depends what you call expensive and also on the exchange rate you’re using (assuming you’re travelling from a non € country) and the comparative cost of living ie your home country compared to France.

I found prices broadly the same as those I pay in London for similar items/in similar standard of restaurants.

7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost

I agree with the above...although Pints of Beer and Spirits a bit more expensive outside Happy Hour

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost

I've found most things a bit less expensive in Nice compared to London...

Vence, France
Level Contributor
10,049 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost

Me too. London is more expensive.

Saxapahaw, North...
Level Contributor
464 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost

I find it's comparable to restaurants in the US. The food in the supermarket seems to be much cheaper for better quality, so we pack a lot of picnics and do some cooking. Even though it's comparable, it's expensive to take a family out to eat for every meal.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,301 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost

You can eat reasonably cheaply in Nice and the whole Riviera if you stick to lunch as your main meal. Many restaurants offer a set menu from 15 to 20 euro with 3 courses, often including wine. Evening meals a la carte will be expensive ..30 euro up to the skies the limit. Bottle of fairly ordinary wine around 25 euro ...dearer than London's Soho. But draught wine 8 to 10 euro for half litre pichet; beer 6.5 euro per half litre average.

Pizza 10 to 12 euro

A pan bagnat or panini to eat on the beach around 5 euro,

Avoid hotel breakfasts and walk to the nearest cafe for breakfast.

I am not sure the assumption that the OP is from London, which from a tourist perspective in the centre is possibly the most expensive place in Europe; generally the rest of England is cheap (ish).

Ed

Edited: 16 January 2018, 18:54
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
12,113 posts
566 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost

I do not know where you live, Sue, and what you like to eat. You do need to populate your profile.

London is indeed more expensive, so are New York City and Los Angeles, IMO. If you are asking about lobster, that will be expensive anywhere. And I think the huge issue is eating out day after day when on a holiday. It does not matter how inexpensive the plate of food is, you multiply it times a fortnight and suddenly it is much too much.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,823 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost

@#5– Comparable to the US??? Lol. Where?? Nyc? North Carolina? LA? Wyoming?

Op- Nice is a city with variety of prices. But France as a whole is not a “budget destination”. For that look at Greece or Portugal (although there too there are pockets of more expensive areas- but generally, they are wallet-friendly Mediterranean options)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost

Doby - can be budget friendly as long as you do a little research, we are a family of five and can manage main course each of around 15 euro, then carafe of wine for us and water for rest, leaves enough euro for nice stroll and an ice-cream later on in evening. We usually have bread, cheeses, meats etc from supermarket for lunch either in rental accommodation or as a picnic.

AmyHoff - I agree with you no matter how well you budget eating out when holidaying with family does add up, especially now as our three older teens with appetites to match! Wouldnt change it though - family holidays are very precious times.

OP Sue hasnt come back onto forum to let us know any more details of stay and expectations .......

2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost

Thanks everyone, do you think staying there for two weeks would be too long?

Reply to: Cost
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted