We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice or Barcelona?

albania
3 posts
Save Topic
Nice or Barcelona?

Hi all,

me and my boyfriend are planning a 2-weeks trip this summer but we haven's decided yet if to go in Nice or in Barcelona. We were in Costa Del Sol last year and we had a lovely time. We want to book an appartment.

I have a few questions for Nice though;

1. Is it much more expensive than in Spain? (the drinks, and food)

2. Is it safe, because I have heard that the city is dangerous? Is the food good?

3.One thing we loved about Spain were the people very quiet and very smiley, very nice.

So, what do you suggest? Please tell me as much as you can because I am so confused...

kisses

ledia

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice or Barcelona?

Stay at home, Ledia - you shouldn't be travelling. Nice is not a dangerous place, unless you are stupid. It is totally, utterly different from Barcelona. Check them both out on the internet and you will see what I mean. Is the food good in Nice? Are you mad?!!!! This is France!!!

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice or Barcelona?

Vuitton - Be nice!

Ledia - Barcelona is a huge city with plenty to see. It could keep you busy for 3 - 5 days. Nice is much smaller with less to see (maybe 1 - 2 days) but it is easier to visit the beach - if that is what you want.

Food in both is very good - but very different. I am sure you could find food in both to meet your budget. It is probably a bit cheaper in Barcelona.

Accommodation in both cities will be very expensive in Summer

The real question is - do you want to spend 2 weeks in a city in summer or do you want to use it as a base to visit the surrounding area? Will you be hiring a car? If you want to drive around then the South of France is probably better because the area surrounding Barcelona is industrial. But if you want to drive furtrher then the Costa Brava is very pretty

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
448 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice or Barcelona?

I'm not keen on Barcelona...that's a personal preference.

I LOVE France...especially Provence and the area around Nice.

That would get my vote.

Enjoy...

Sharon

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice or Barcelona?

From someone who has been to both places on several occasions, I would say that Nice is safer than Barcelona....

For a summer vacation and a resort feel, I would stay in the Cote D'Azur and rent a car... not necessarily Nice....

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice or Barcelona?

Barcelona is much, much cheaper than Nice

there is a beach in the city centre of both towns., Barcelona is sandy, Nice is stoney

Nightlife is significantly better in Barcelona.

I found the food in Spain to be virtually inedible but cheaper

Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice or Barcelona?

I've been to both Nice and Barcelona. I enjoyed both. I'll try to be objective but tell you, from the beginning, I LOVED Barcelona.

I think the expenses will be similiar in both places as they both use the Euro. To me, Barcelona seemed less touristy than Nice. The people in Nice and Barcelona were helpful and positive.

I felt safe in both cities but used common sense and was with my husband in both cities.

I thought the food was delicious in Barcelona. In fact, one of my "top 5" meals was in Barcelona. We ate a steak sandwich with tapas at a bar off the Las Ramblas. In Nice, we mostly picniced so I can't attest to the quality and price of the food. We did have one meal of mussels and it was average.

Barcelona can keep you busy for days. Nice can also, but you'll have to do some traveling to nearby cities and countries, like Monaco.

If it were me, I would go to Barcelona. If you are wanting to relax at the beach, go to Nice. If you are wanting to take in churches, museums, etc., go to Barcelona. You'll have a good time in both cities.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
280 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice or Barcelona?

Am leaving in 10 days for a trip to Nice/Provence for 6 days, then train from Avignon to Barcelona for 3 days. Will probably post something after that if you're looking for more feedback by then!

Belfast
Level Contributor
298 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice or Barcelona?

Hi Ledia, my vote would be for Nice. Barcelona certainly has its good points but it is bigger and more "city" like than Nice. Nice is more compact, and more user friendly. You can stroll around it easily and you are never short of somewhere for a coffee or lunch, or of things to look at. Also, the beach is always only a few blocks away.

In Barcelona, cafe owners were always anxious that our bags were kept close to us, something I have never seen in Nice (I have an apartment there now). The Lonely Planet guide to Barcelona used to have a section devoted to the pickpockets of the city, entitled "50 ways to lose your wallet". One of us duly had his pocket picked. It was very professionally done and you had to admire the skill involved, but it did give everyone a sick feeling.

Finally, I am sorry to say that in many trips to Spain I have endured nothing but terrible food. The food in Nice is fantastic. Go to Bar Liber'tea on Place Magenta/Rue de la Liberte for an aperitif, then walk to the Old Town (10 mins) and do the 30Euro menu in Tire Bouchon, followed by late night drinks in the Negresco Piano Bar. What could be better?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice or Barcelona?

It depends what your interests are, I have been to the two places and both are completely different in every way.

If you like museums, art, history and good food then Barcelona will suit you. It's a large city but still easy to get around. I loved the architecture in Barcelona, its incredible and coming from Australia , I found the city to be fascinating.

If you like a casual "beachy" holiday, then Nice is a sun drenched summer holiday with (terrible pebbly beaches), and the sparkling blue waters of the Mediterranean. Nice is the place to lay back and relax, enjoy the food, swim, checkout people and various museums. Just bring some flip flops /thongs for the pebbles!!

For summer, I would certainly go to Nice. There are some wonderful places along the French Riverina to explore.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
731 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice or Barcelona?

Well, I am a bit biased towards Nice but I love Barcelona too. As you have 2 weeks, perhaps you could consider staying in Nice which makes a great base for exploring all the local towns and villages as well as Monaco and Italy. Then you could take a coach (or hire a car) to Barcelona for a few days, before heading back to Nice.

Don't worry, Nice is not dangerous or unsafe if you are sensible. I found a website devoted to the scams and rippping off of tourists in Barcelona, so they must have their own set of problems. Wish I could remember the website, will post again if I find it.

I don't think Nice is particularly more expensive than Barcelona but I agree that the Spanish are 'smilier'.