We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a train station next to Nice Airport?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
37 reviews
Is there a train station next to Nice Airport?

On my last trip im sure I saw a station near the Park Inn Airport Hotel. Is it feasible to walk from the airport terminal to get the train that goes to Antibes - Cannes?

Rgds

Craig

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Is there a train station next to Nice Airport?

The main railway line between Nice and Cannes has a stop "Nice, St Augustin" ( Bd. Edouard Grinda) which is officially the airport stop. However its near the airport, not at the airport, and not very near at that. Note not all trains out of Nice and Cannes stop at St Augustin. Experienced local travellers use it because it avoids the risk of traffic snarl ups that occasionally happen, and they know the route to Terminal one via subways, road crossings and around the large Arenas office blocks.

From Terminal 1 :

- Exit at arrivals, Gate A1.

- Cross along the pedestrian way towards "Arénas", under the RN98 bridge (Passage de la Caravelle).

- Cross Av. Lindbergh and turn left (Lycée hôtelier Paul Augier).

- Turn right (Bd. René Cassin), to the traffic light.

- Cross to the left, under the SNCF railway bridge (Route de Grenoble), then turn right (Av. Edouard Grinda).

Its a very small station frequently deserted and often unstaffed - tickets only from machines - about a half mile 15 minute walk , as long as you don't get lost - the signposting is non-existent. If your flight is Terminal Two, you can shuttle between T1 and T2, but the extra hassle means its not a good way to reach Terminal 2 - not a practical journey on foot.

That said, its not too difficult a connection provided you know what to expect

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
37 reviews
2. Re: Is there a train station next to Nice Airport?

Nice Life, thanks for your prompt reply. I wil try your recommended route when I return to Nice in July. It is strange that they havent made this station more accesible it would be ideal for connections along the Riviera, Monaco, and the Italian border.

Thanks

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
731 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Is there a train station next to Nice Airport?

There's a map here:

…aeroport.fr/acces_stationnement_en/trains/t…

The trains that stop at St Augustin will be the slow ones, stopping at all the stations. If your destination station is a 'main' station like Cannes or Monaco for example, it might be quicker to take the fast trains that go from the main Nice Ville train station. The express bus 99 will take you there directly from T1 or T2. The 99 only takes about 20 minutes.

So much depends on your luggage, the times, the weather and where you are trying to get to etc, but the St Augustin option is a useful one and I am surprised too, that it isn't included on the shuttle run, mind you I am more surprised that the new tram network doesn't have a direct link to the airport, LOL.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,367 posts
69 reviews
4. Re: Is there a train station next to Nice Airport?

I am a regular user of Nice St Augustin. It takes me about seven minutes to walk from T1. Arriving at T2, which I usually do, I get the free bus which runs between the terminals and get off at stop Arenas, the first after T1. It is then less than a five min walk.

St Augustin is heavily used by commuters but is pretty quiet at other times. In the twenty or so times I have used it in the late evening there has always been a security officer keeping an eye on things, as there is at all the stations on this line. I often arrive at the airport in the evening and sometimes get to Villefranche in under half an hour from getting off the aircraft, at a cost of 2.30 euros, compared to a taxi fare of about 60.

This would be by far the best means of travel to and from the airport if the trains where wholly reliable: they aren't!

minneapolis...
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
5. Re: Is there a train station next to Nice Airport?

London Bob, a few post ago we spoke about the St Augustine train station and someone mentioned it was unsafe. You said you would check it out the next time you were there. Have you been there recently and has anything changed? THanks!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,367 posts
69 reviews
6. Re: Is there a train station next to Nice Airport?

I did check it out and posted something on the thread. I walked around the area and spoke to a few locals who were astonished at the idea that it was a dangerous area. One elderly man who was working in his garden obviously thought the the main danger came from foreigners such as me with crazy ideas. I will be at St Augustin on Monday evening and expect to wait for the train with four or five others from the airport, half a dozen local youths heading for Nice for some amusement and a very bored security man.

My only worry will be that the train won't appear. One night last year two disappeared completely after being shown on the indicator and the last one was 40 mins late.

7. Re: Is there a train station next to Nice Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 11:20