We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental question

Minnesota
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
rental question

Hello,

We are staying in Nice for the first two days of our trip, heading to the countryside for a week before coming back to the Nice area and staying a few days in Villefranche Sur Mer. My plan is to take the bus downtown when we arrive and then pick up the rental on the second day prior to leaving town. Would it be most convenient to pick up at the train station? Secondly would you recommend dropping off the car on my way back in Nice, and uber to the airport, or should I keep it for the days we are in Villefranche for options in that area? many thanks

13 replies to this topic
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,368 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: rental question

Most agencies have two pickup places, railway station and Meridian Hotel which are about a 15 min walk or 5 min tram ride apart. Depends to some extent on where you are going but Nice is a confusing place in which to drive with many aggressive drivers. From the promenade you can go along the coast in either direction. I would say the station area is more confusing.

If you intend to go inland when you are in Villefranche keep the car but visiting the towns along the coast is easier, usually quicker and less stressful by bus or train.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
2. Re: rental question

thank you so much for your insight.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
18,017 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: rental question

Where are you staying in Nice?

I think that you can avoid the rail station surcharge by picking up your car at the city office.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
4. Re: rental question

I am staying close to old town, and I have found the Sixt office close by that I plan on using. Thanks so much for your reply.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
10,215 posts
149 reviews
5. Re: rental question

There are no surcharges for airport or station in Nice to my knowledge. Try a price-search website.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,368 posts
69 reviews
6. Re: rental question

That is the office l referred to as Meridian Hotel. I used them regularly at one time and found the staff very helpful and honest. We no longer need cars in Nice but given the number of complaints about other companies it might help others if you could let us know how you get on.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
9,355 posts
84 reviews
7. Re: rental question

Parking in Villefranche can be impossible. On our three attempts to date we've never found a parking spot.

There is a Hertz rental office near the Meridien hotel and a Sixt even closer.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
10,215 posts
149 reviews
8. Re: rental question

There are several public parkings in Villefranche and it is absolutely rare - if not impossible - that all are "complet". Sure you have to accept to pay for it.

Agree that free roadside parking close to the old town will be almost impossible to find.

I know a "very special" parking in Villefranche but I won't give it away, sorry. ;)

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
9,355 posts
84 reviews
9. Re: rental question

When we were there in April all the lots were full. It does happen.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
10,215 posts
149 reviews
10. Re: rental question

I once checked on a Sunday afternoon in August. The beach was packed but there was still parking available at Marinieres . In April it would even be free.

You checked at the citadelle as well? I would have waited a (very) few minutes.

Reply to: rental question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted