We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice Hotel in Nice

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
985 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Nice Hotel in Nice

Can anyone recommend a 'nice', clean and decent hotel in Nice for 3 nights in August. Would prefer to be near the railway station, but not sure if that area is a good one. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I have looked at the reviews and the couple that I'm looking at are Hotel Les Cignes and Hotel La Perouse - but if anyone has any other suggestions, would welcome them.

Thanks

Reading
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice Hotel in Nice

i would certainly recommend the Windsor Hotel - you can find details on their web site.

have stayed there a couple of times - its a bit quirky but good fun - staff are really pleasant and one of very few small hotels with a pool.

not far from the town centre (10mins walk).

we have walked to the station from the hotel - takes about 10 mins.

if you decide to give it a go - hope you enjoy your stay.

regards

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
985 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice Hotel in Nice

Thanks lifesabeech - will check that one out.

Illinois
Level Contributor
436 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice Hotel in Nice

We have stayed at the Hotel Mercure Promenade des Anglais, and we loved it. The hotel is located directly across the street from the Mediterranean Sea, and just minutes away from Old Town. Although it is not near the railway station, you will enjoy its close proximity to some of the favorite tourist sections. If youcheck out a map of Nice, you will see the great location for this 3-star, Mercure hotel.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice Hotel in Nice

Perouse is 4 star and not near the railway station, whose immediate area is to be avoided like in most big cities.

The nearest reasonable conveniently located are a couple of three star at rue Paul Deroulede just off the main street Av jean medecin - the Comfort Hotel Boreal, at no9, and the Hotel Florence a couple of doors away.

Both these offer a reasonale compromise between quality and location. After that, theres around a thousand others!

merseyside
Destination Expert
for Kalymnos
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice Hotel in Nice

Hi Gemini16.

The Hotel Gounod is reasonable, and in a safe area, but within walking distance to the Old Town and station.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
985 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice Hotel in Nice

Thanks to ton amie, Nice life and sunnybun - I will check all of your suggestions out!

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,389 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice Hotel in Nice

I also love the Hotel Windsor and have stayed there twice, both times in the bigger rooms with balcony over the garden (170 Euros plus tax now according to the website). The dining room is good for dinner if you dont feel like going out and the times I have eaten there I have ended up talking to the other hotel guests who were dining. It is very friendly and quite centrally located.

The hotel's website is not user friendly however and you must click only on links in the site to move to another area because if you click the back button, you don't go to the screen you last looked at you go right out of the website.

http://www.hotelwindsornice.com/

I stayed a few nights on one stay near the station and parts of the area are pretty "iffy" as in sleazy with peep shows. However, the hotel I stayed in, the Hotel de Madrid which is now a Best Western, was on a corner and I was advised not to turn left as I went out the door (that was the direction of the sleazy area) but only right and that was perfectly fine and no sleaze at all. However, for the price I think it is still too far from the old town and the waterfront

Here are two websites for the Madrid if you are interested in the station area - one benefit of the area of course is the proximity to the station if you are taking the train to see other towns near nice

…bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do…

hotel-madrid-nice.cote.azur.fr/page_en_1.html

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
985 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice Hotel in Nice

Thanks Faux for your suggestions.

I was thinking along the lines of being near the station to make it easier to visit other towns, but am now wondering if it's such a good idea, if the surrounding area is sleazy. Will give it some thought!

Thanks

New York, NY
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice Hotel in Nice

I also recommend Hotel Windsor Nice. I've stayed there twice, and plan on staying there again the next time I'm in Nice.

The rooms are interesting and unique. If you have a laptop, they offer free Wi-Fi in the lobby and in most of the rooms.

The staff is really nice and helpful, too.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,389 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice Hotel in Nice

Hi Gemini

When we stayed at the Madrid we just did as the reception guy suggested and did not go in the wrong direction. You didn't need to to get to the station or the centre. It was fine and a nice hotel but I must say that I prefer to spend 15 -20 mins to and from the station and to stay at the Windsor or another hotel in the central area closer to the things you want to do in the evening. I usually found a taxi at the station quickly if I did not feel up to walking or taking a bus when I got back from a train trip.

One thing about the train, I set off one day to go to San Remo which is in Italy and remembered just in time that I would be crossing the border to Italy and I did not have my passport on me, so I got off and visited Menton (very nice). I did go with passport on another occasion and I dont think there was a passport check at all but I am paranoid about taking the chance in case they did check.

I read somewhere on TA that the authorities are starting to be more thorough with border checks so make sure you do take it if you venture into Italy. Since that time I have always carried my passport at all times in France anyway in a waist pouch inside my clothes, just to be on the safe side.