We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice to Marseille

Ireland
1 post
Save Topic
Nice to Marseille

Anybody know the best way to travel by public transport between Nice and Marseille - train or bus - in relation to cost and time?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
167 Reviews
from US$98.30*
Free Cancellation
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
654 Reviews
from US$105.40*
Free Cancellation
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
417 Reviews
from US$127.90*
Free Cancellation
UK
Level Contributor
3,296 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice to Marseille

The easiest way is to take the train from Nice Centre Ville SNCF station to Marseille St. Charles station. There is a frequent service.

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Lille, France
Level Contributor
65 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice to Marseille

Be EXTREMELY careful if you take the train to Marseille. This city is a little bit dangerous and the train station is located in one of the worst part of the city (safety talking). Don't arrive by night ! Watch your pockets...

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
UK
Level Contributor
3,296 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice to Marseille

I recently spent a thoroughly enjoyable 5 day sejour in Marseille and did not find it any more risky than Rome or London. Certainly it felt much more safe, clean and friendly than my last visit there 8 years ago.

There is a lot of construction work going on in the area around the Gare Saint Charles which makes it a little dirty and difficult to nagivate around but I never felt particularly unsafe.

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
London
London
England, UK
Lille, France
Level Contributor
65 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice to Marseille

Are you sure you've visited Marseille (South of France) ? I ask this because you say it's "clean".

It's not that risky in turistic areas but it's really dangerous around the train station. Locals advise travelers not to arrive there after 6 PM...

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
France
France
Europe
UK
Level Contributor
3,296 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice to Marseille

Yes, it was Marseille in Provence, France!

We stayed near Place Jules Guesde which is not far from the train station and found it to be safe both during the daytime and late evening. Also spent time in the areas around Place J. Jaurès, the Cours Julien, the Vieux Port and the Panier on evenings and felt perfectly safe.

My impression is that Marseille is a cleaner, safer, more tourist orientated city than it was 10 years ago when it deservedly had that seedy, dangerous reputation. I remember when we were there a number of years ago that cars were always left vandalised if parked overnight. No sightings of vandalised cars a few weeks ago.

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
France
France
Europe
Prague
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice to Marseille

Could anyone tell me please, how much people pay for the train from Nice to Marseille? Or if some student sales are avaliable. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Nice, France
Level Contributor
155 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice to Marseille

Hi,

Price is around 30 €, it takes approx 2h30mn.

I am going often to Marseille and do not find it more dangerous or risky than other cities.

Time table and fare in English:

www.voyages-sncf.com/dynamic/_SvHomePage…

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
UK
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice to Marseille

I've travelled to and from Marseille by train many times and certainly wouldn't say the station more dangerous than, for example, a station in London. The police are very much in evidence there. Train is definitely the best bet from Marseille to Nice - you get the TGV so you need to book it.

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
London
London
England, UK
9. Re: Nice to Marseille

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 16:17