We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switzerland to Nice and Paris (for advice please)

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sg
5 posts
Save Topic
Switzerland to Nice and Paris (for advice please)

We are planning a 1 week trip from Mar (Easter week) from Nice to Marseille and to Paris and will be in Switzerland the week before. We will likely be travelling to France from Interlaken, and would need to be back in Zurich for our flight back after the French holiday.

Have checked out several modes of transportation and was wondering which would be the best way:

a) Interlaken - Geneva (train), Geneva - Nice (plane)

b) Interlaken - Zurich (train), Zurich - Paris, Paris - Nice

Are there other ways which would be faster and not in a roundabout way?

managed to find cheap plane tickets for the Zurich-Paris trip but would it be more economical to even get a Swiss-France pass and do the entire journey by train.

Appreciate any inputs!

Luberon Provence
Level Contributor
287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Switzerland to Nice and Paris (for advice please)

It would be a fantastic drive, around 6 hours viamichelin.

Wilko

Arizona
Level Contributor
50 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Switzerland to Nice and Paris (for advice please)

You might consider the train from anywhere in Switzerland to Nice via Milan instead of b) above. Your a) would be quicker, but probably not as pleasant. Of course, I'm a train nut.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Switzerland to Nice and Paris (for advice please)

We flew out of Nice (after doing some of Spain and southern FRance)8am to Geneva, hired a car and drove to Interlaken (I think that was about 2 1/2 - 3 hours)(went up Schilthorn??) arrived in Lucerne in the late afternoon, stayed overnight then drove on to Zurich the next day (about an hour). Not sure if you like driving, but it is an easy drive, and you have so much flexibility on where you want to stop and we Aussies as you know are used to driving on the other side of the road - no problems. We flew Easyjet for about 24 euro - also no problems. We ended up in Paris, driving north from Zurich, along the Rhine, through Brussels and down to Paris. You will have an absolutely wonderful time I'm sure....I love all of Switzerland (that I have seen), love Paris, love Nice.

sg
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Switzerland to Nice and Paris (for advice please)

Hi All, Thanks for the suggestions.

Driving sounds like a plan. but would it be possible to pick up the car in interlaken and then drop it off somewhere in france later? Any suggested car rentals? Thanks in advance!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Switzerland to Nice and Paris (for advice please)

We took Easyjet from Geneva to Nice. Very inexpensive. We had a Swiss rail pass and traveled everywhere with it by train and bus. (Lucerne, St. Gallen, Zurich, Berne, Interlaken, Geneva) You really don't need a car in Switzerland since there is wonderful, dependable public transportation.

And the railpass includes admission to over 400 museums and historic sites.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Switzerland to Nice and Paris (for advice please)

When we flew from Nice to Geneva we picked up our car rental on the French side of Geneva airport (drove thru Switz, Belgium onto Paris) and then by dropping it off in Paris, we didn't have to pay a return fee (if you drop it in a different country), which adds quite a bit to your rental. I got my travel agent to book our car rentals ahead of time, so all we had to do, was sign the paperwork and pick up the car - saved any hassles with language barriers. It's worth paying extra to have GPS (Satellite Navigation) - saves a few arguments and getting lost (although it's only in the cities that getting lost can be a problem). (The car rental was the only part of our holidays I got the travel agent to do for me - I looked at doing it myself and because at one time we couldn't avoid picking up and dropping in another country it was just easier to do with the travel agent)

7. Re: Switzerland to Nice and Paris (for advice please)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 13:15