We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving -v- Public Transport

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham City
Level Contributor
404 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Driving -v- Public Transport

A week in August myself and two teenagers - Park Inn (nr airport) with shuttle bus to from Nice and beaches.

To see around, what do people think, public transport or hire a car?

Driving: how easy is driving and parking. is it pricey to park in town?

Thanks folks. Much appreciated.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving -v- Public Transport

the park inn is not a perfect location for vacation, sorry too tell you that,

you have nothing around quickly except airport

it's not central without car

it's a business area

or may be the train station at 10 min walk "nice saint augustin station"

a public parking is between 1,50 and 2,50 euros per hour

evening or night, that will be not a good hotel without car

the day, you can use bus or train

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving -v- Public Transport

Don't even think about hire car. Public transport in Nice is fantastic be it bus/tram/train. Cars are a real problem-street parking difficult and car parks very expensive. Admittedly out at the airport for a week is not the best place to be for so long but a car is a drag.

merseyside
Destination Expert
for Kalymnos
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving -v- Public Transport

Hi joanne2

If I were you I would try and find another hotel and cancel Park Inn. Its an airport hotel, 20 mins by bus to the centre. There is nothing there for you and two teenagers. Have a look at the other hotels more central.

France
Level Contributor
685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving -v- Public Transport

If you find a hotel closer to the centre you will be able to walk to the beach and around Nice day and night.

Don't even think of driving in August it's a nightmare.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving -v- Public Transport

Find another hotel which is in the heart of Nice and you will not need a car. August is prime time, so it will be a nightmare having a car just use their transport system which is great.

Plenty of excellent accommodation in the center of Nice.

canada
Level Contributor
156 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving -v- Public Transport

With three almost-full-grown bodies, you might want to consider renting an apartment for the week. Many are even more reasonable than a hotel, usually closer to interesting things, and even if it's a tiny flat at least you'll have your own kitchen etc. There are many giant rental websites, and select if you want to be close to the beach or to downtown or whatever. We find this option far more charming, convenient, and economical when a family is concerned...

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving -v- Public Transport

Lots of good advice here so I won't repeat, other than to mention that the main road approaching the airport is the main red light district for Nice, another good reason for not staying at the airport hotels.

Ive spent a couple of hours stuck in the Riviera's August traffic for just a short journey. The only sensible and reliable way to get around in peak season is the train. A car is a total liability unless you plan to go touring the back country.

In the main towns, you are competing for space with hordes of Parisians and other French whose summer holiday consists of pouring the family into the car and heading south (Fair enough, it's their country after all!)

Get a hotel in the central area, as 99% of the pleasures of Nice are immediately accessible on foot.

Cheers

Durham City
Level Contributor
404 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving -v- Public Transport

Thank you everyone for the postings. Its making me think twice now. I had a look on tripadvisor reviews about the Park Inn. Its says its 15 mins walk into town, they have a shuttle and there's a number 98 bus into Nice. The thing is - costs! Its about a third cheaper to stay here. I was thinking of hiring a car for a few days out of the week just to travel over to the Toulouse, Monte Carlo and maybe Turin. Are the trains easy to access to those places? If so, we'll ditch the car and maybe stay more centrally in Nice. I'll also check out the apartments/self-catering as someone advised (thanks). Do people really think the hotel is that bad? I'm confused because the reviews seem good, it doesn't seem far away from Nice, there's a bus route and a shuttle but the experts will know best but if there are any more thoughts on this it would be good to hear. Cheers.

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving -v- Public Transport

NO NO NO to car hire as most folk say. Nice is a large city and the transport hub for buses and trains to many places. Buses esp are frequent, modern and very cheap.

Again, please you must relocate; you're not in a nice area; airport buses are dearer than normal buses; the "fun" of Nice esp with teenagers in tow is to be fairly close to the action and use your legs to and from that action! Nice Old Town has a fantastic atmosphere and you want to be fairly close to that.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
152 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving -v- Public Transport

Try to locate your hotel using maps.live.com and use the "bird eyes" view. Then you should be able to decide if you want to be in such area for vacation ....