We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk to Chagall & Matisse Museums? + lunch where please?

London
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Walk to Chagall & Matisse Museums? + lunch where please?

Hi.

We'll be staying in the old town and would like to walk to the Chagall museum, have lunch somewhere (where please?) and then walk to the Matisse museum.

We like walking but have noticed that people advise taking the bus there, so wondered if this is too ambitious?

How long would the walk take do you reckon please?

We'd be happy if each leg is under an hour.

Many thanks

Elaine

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk to Chagall & Matisse Museums? + lunch where please?

Since you would be climbing the "Colline de Cimiez" I suggest taking the bus to Musée Matisse, then walk down to Musée Chagall (ask for a one way free bus ticket if they still give some and save that walk). Then you can walk down to the Old Town from Musée Chagall.

Great Neck, New York
Level Contributor
487 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk to Chagall & Matisse Museums? + lunch where please?

Hi Elaine,

I have an idea. Why not pack a picnic lunch, take the #15 bus directly to the Matisse Park, which is situated in beautiful surroundings, with Olive trees, and beautiful grounds. Have lunch. Spend some time in the Museum. Don't forget to appreciate the Trompe L'oeil(to deceive the eye)windows, stroll around the Roman amphithreatre, and the ruins, possibly walk a short distance to the famed 16th century Notre Dame Church and monastery, and then, walk downhill all the way to the Chagall Museum. On the way, check out the Excelsior Regina Palace, for some great architecture, which was the residence of Queen Victoria. Some beautiful homes, along the way as well. Try to get an early start, so that you'll have plenty of time to see as much as possible. There are really no great restaurants in Cimiez, since it is just an elegant neighborhood of residences. Have a great time!

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,482 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk to Chagall & Matisse Museums? + lunch where please?

Could you please give the location for the Hotel Regina? We tried to find it but had no luck.

Great Neck, New York
Level Contributor
487 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk to Chagall & Matisse Museums? + lunch where please?

This is just a response to "Cattullus". The Excelsior Regina Palace no longer functions as a hotel, but a magnificent building of luxury apartments, and some offices. It is located at the top of the Blvd de Cimiez. You will see the huge domes when you arrive. The architecture is spectacular.

London
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walk to Chagall & Matisse Museums? + lunch where please?

That is wonderful advice, thank you all.

Only thing is, though I appreciate it's a good idea, we don't want to take a picnic, so is there somewhere to buy a snack - possibly in the museums or a bar en route?

Lastly, Nice museums will be free from July 1st, I believe; presumably these 2 are included in that?

If so, though it's not a high cost, we'll plan our itinerary so we don't go there on June 30th.

Great Neck, New York
Level Contributor
487 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walk to Chagall & Matisse Museums? + lunch where please?

Hi Elaine,

Just about a 3 minute walk from the Matisse Museum, just a little further up the Blvd, is the supermarket Monoprix, which as you can imagine has everything you'll need for a fun picnic, from wine to foie gras, and a great tarte citron for dessert. Now go for it!

London
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walk to Chagall & Matisse Museums? + lunch where please?

Hello again Funkster.

It was the thought of carrying food and drink around, all morning, that put me off a picnic.

The nearby supermarket sounds like a wonderful idea, so will go along with all your suggestions, with gratitiude.

Thanks for the advice.

Cordialement

Elaine

Great Neck, New York
Level Contributor
487 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walk to Chagall & Matisse Museums? + lunch where please?

Hi Elaine,

You folks are in for one great day! Just wear comfortable walking shoes. Nothing worse than saw paws. Enjoy!

London
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walk to Chagall & Matisse Museums? + lunch where please?

Hi again.

We'd also like to wander around the cemetry and I've now realised it's on the way down from the Colline de Chateau, which is where we'll be this day.

Will we find the cemetry easily?

Monaco Cabbie kindly advised me:

"You can either walk up from the old town, or take the lift from the sea front. The cemetery is at the "town end" of the hill, furthest from the sea. Once you're at the top, turn your back on the sea and walk along the path with the old town below you on the left, and you'll get there in about 5 mins"

The directions are from Nice, but how does one find it from the other direction? Coming from Matisse is it before or after Chagall?...or will it be obvious? Or have I got my geography totally wrong?

I've been looking at a map but it's incomprehensible to me, sitting over here.

Thanks again

Elaine

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walk to Chagall & Matisse Museums? + lunch where please?

You can easily reach the cemetery from the Old Town. There are directions for the Colline du Chateau and you get up there close to the cemetery.