We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side Trips from Nice

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
2 posts
Save Topic
Side Trips from Nice

We only have three days and we wanted to see Monte Carlo. Should we see EZE as well? What about Cannes and St. Tropez?

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Side Trips from Nice

Eze is between Nice and Monte Carlo, so you could easily visit both on the same trip or tour. Not a whole lot to see in Cannes, though of course it's always nice to say you've been someplace as famous as it is. St. Tropez is prettier and more interesting, but I understand that traffic is a nightmare in July and August, if that's when you're in the area. Perhaps a local expert can give you better advice about that.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,209 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Side Trips from Nice

In my opinion the most interesting places near Nice are Eze, Villefranche/Cap Ferrat, Antibes, St Paul de Vence. Not much worth seeing in Cannes and Monaco is not much better. St Tropez is a long way and a difficult journey from Nice.

In my experience the very rich feel happier in Cannes and Monaco, as they are nervous of the many poor people in Nice.

France
Level Contributor
685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Side Trips from Nice

Only 3 days - don't even think about St.Tropez.

I'm not a big fan of Cannes, I'd definitely go for Monaco, Eze and Nice. But, there are many posters to this forum and there are myriad interests and very few people give any info as to what their interests are.

UK
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Side Trips from Nice

I don't like Cannes or Monte Carlo: the first is rather grubby IMO and the second a concrete jungle. Eze is lovely and has a great garden with megacacti in it. How energetic are you? you can take the train to Eze by the sea and walk up the Nietzsche path to the main village, or take a bus to the main village. You can also take the train up into the mountains to Entrevaux, lovely scenery and great mediaeval castle. Also I would walk around the coast to Villefranche and Cap Ferrat to see how the rich people live.

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Side Trips from Nice

We were in France the first 2 weeks of July. We loved Nice. Take the time to see Nice, too. We loved the Vielle Ville. Take the walk up Castle Hill ( off the promenade) to see great views.

As far as side trips are concerned are favorites were Villefranche-sur-mer, Eze and Antibes.

Villefranche-sur-mer is like walking into a postcard- gorgeous! We then took the walk to the Ephrussi-Rothchild Manor. It had magnificent gardens and views! It is only 15 minutes on the train, and very worth it!! Fabulous!

Eze is gorgeous! You can do that the same day as Monte Carlo- only a few minute train trip between them. Eze is an amazing medieval village! We loved it! If you are going to be on the train, get off at Eze and then you will need to take a bus up to the village. The bus stop is right off of the train stop. It is worth it. You could then do Monte Carlo in the evening.

You could also do Cannes and Antibes in one day. Same thing, they are close on the train. We liked Antibes much better.

We did not venture to St. Tropez. Hopefully we will return one day to do that. We ran out of days. :(

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
361 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Side Trips from Nice

I'll second St Paul de Vence - if you like art - The Colombe D'or for food surrounded by fab pics, nearby Fondation Maeght for another art fix, lots of galleries and shops in the village itself, place made complete by the petanque players opposite the Colombe D'Or.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Side Trips from Nice

Hello there,

I agree that you should see Eze and St paul de Vense. Cannes is not exciting.

8. Re: Side Trips from Nice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 01:17