We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to costal towns from Nice

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
140 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Visit to costal towns from Nice

I will stay in Hotel Suisse of Nice (near the port?) and plan to visit a few coastal towns from there in mid September, such as Villefranche, St. Tropez, Monaco, Menton, Juan les Pins.

What is the most convenient way to do so in say two days or so? If I take boat or bus, can I just buy a return ticket and stop en route? I'm a bit confused about how the transportation system there works.

Edinburgh
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to costal towns from Nice

It is some time since I visited Nice - the last time was about 5 years ago - but I am sure the train service along that coast is still as good and efficient as it was. The train is brilliant and goes right along the coast so it is a very pleasant journey. I don't know what the bus service is like (have only been to Grasee by bus) but there will be buses along to the places you mentioned as well.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to costal towns from Nice

You can take train and stop anywhere between departure point and arrival point (so get return tickets for menton for instance and stop on your way in Villefranche, Beaulieu, St-Jean, Monaco, etc). For buses you can buy one day pass with unlimited travels.

Bus website

http://www.lignedazur.com/index.asp

chester, england
Level Contributor
46 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to costal towns from Nice

Take the train to anywhere along the coast as it's cheap and quick but watch out because some trains don't stop at all stations. Villefranche is a must. Beau Soleil and Menton too. Juan les Pins in the other direction for a totally different experience. Have lunch on the beach, not as expensive as you might think. Bus is good to Villefranche, but takes forever to get to Menton as it goes through all the villages first. Have been to Nice lots of times, last time in February this year. Try a visit to Eze on the bus - about 20 mins from bus station.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
140 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to costal towns from Nice

As my hotel should be near to the bus station rather than the train station, it would be more convenient for us to take the bus, as long as the journey time is reasonable. Can we get on and off a bus en route just like for train?

chester, england
Level Contributor
46 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to costal towns from Nice

First off: you can get an all day bus ticket so no problem getting on and off. You may be nearer to ) check it out.

As for St Tropez, no train station. You might be able to go by boat though. Probably a bit pricey.

Tourist Information on the Promenade des Anglais and next to the main railway station; both very helpful - or you can drop them a line in advance.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
731 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to costal towns from Nice

Use the following links to help you plan your trips. If in doubt, start your trips from the Gare Routiere on Jean Jaures but for journeys east of Nice ie to Menton and all the towns and villages in-between it is closer for you to wait for the bus 100 by the Port opposite the Church.

All the bus stops are named and have clear numbers written on them showing you which buses stop there, both local and where relevant, the inter-town buses. As many roads in Nice and other places are one-way, you may have to hunt around a bit to find the corresponding return bus stop.

For local buses within Nice and just to the outskirts use this link:

http://www.lignedazur.com/

The buses are numbered between 1 and 99 and stop at all stops although it’s wise to ring the bell as your stop approaches. A single fare (you don’t buy returns) is 1,30 euros and you can connect different buses to get to a destination on the same ticket provided you connect within the hour. A one-day bus pass is 4 euros and this includes one trip to the airport in either direction on the express airport buses 98 or 99, useful on your first and last day.

To get to villages and towns outside Nice, then use the following links:

www.rca.tm.fr/plan/index.asp?rub_code=6

http://www.cg06.fr/tam-html/

The buses are 3-digits, ie 100, 200, 400 etc and they do not stop everywhere, just at main points in Nice and surrounding towns. The cost varies depending how far you go, expect to pay from 1,70 to 7 euros each way. The stops may be missed out if the driver perceives no-one wants off, so get ready to ring the bell. You don’t buy retruns, just a single ticket each way, except for the 100, see below.

Where there are shared bus stops between the local Nice buses and these inter-town buses, the fare is the same as for a local bus, ie 1,30 euros.

The 100 east-bound bus – Nice to Menton (and I THINK the 111 and 112) is good value as the return journey is free provided you return form the same town and show the driver your original ticket bought that day. Do not try this on any west-bound buses – Nice to Cannes. All others you pay both ways.

You can visit the lignedazur (buses 1- 99) office on the north side of the Gare Routiere, rue or boulevard Felix Faure and you can pick up maps etc but for inter-town buses, the 100, 200 etc, you need to visit the information desk in the Gare Routiere although do not expect maps or anything useful like that, just a small scrap of photocopied timetable. Both offices are closed on Sunday.

Hope this helps. These things are always easier retrospectively. Good luck.

St Tropez is 45 euros return trip by boat arrving at 11:30 and leaving St T at 16:30. the journey is 2.5 hours each way. The market at St T is Tuesday and Saturday.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
140 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit to costal towns from Nice

Thanks for the wonderful information offered. I will check it out in details, and probably need to print it out and take it with me. I love this website and its forums - the people here are just so knowledgeable and wiling to help. :-)