We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another apartment question

seattle
Level Contributor
376 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
another apartment question

We have narrowed our search having decided against staying in the Old Town secondary to possible noise (we are light sleepers) but want to be within walking distance to the beach and Old Town.

Our two finalists: Rue Antoine Gautier in the Port on the top floor or Rue du Lycee just north of the bus station on the French first floor.

Anyone have any thoughts about these two areas?

We plan on cycling in Nice and wonder if it is a bicycle friendly city. (we used bikes for transportation in Paris). Is it safe to lock up the bike and are there bike racks etc? Any particularly good places to cycle in the city?

As always, your input is appreciated.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: another apartment question

Rue Lycee is unsuprisingly by the main high school - but the kids are very polite here - its v handy for bus access - virtually opposite the bus station. The port is a little more out of the way for both the bus and the train station, but its not insurmountable. Top floor is usually five or six floors - did it mention a lift?

The town has spent a fortune on creating a "Piste cyclable" the entite length of the Promenade des Anglais - all 5km of it, to the airport.

France is cycle-crazy, and most car drivers are quite good at not knocking them over too often.

There are VTT cycleways all around - for the best views check the Grande Corniche and the old strategic military route between Fort Revere above Eze and La Turbie via Route de Simboula and La Forna. Stunning views and I often see adventurous cyclists on this route - much nicer as no cars.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: another apartment question

NiceLife is right about the views from the Grande Corniche but you won't get up there on a bike unless you are a fit and experienced cyclist. I have cycled in many parts of the world, including Mount Rainier National Park but draw the line at cycling in Nice, where traffic is fast and ill disciplined, especially as a local cyclist I knew was killed two years ago. Nice is a place for walking, with almost everything of interest to tourists within thirty minutes of everything else.

I spend quite a bit of time in Nice and my impression is that, provided you aren't involved with the local gangsters, violent crime is almost unknown but theft from tourists is endemic. I can't recall ever seeing a bike rack.

Rue Antoine Gautier is not busy but it is on a bus route. I think both it and Rue du Lycee will be quiet at night.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: another apartment question

Ah LB I should have mentioned - the Grande Corniche is not for the faint-hearted. The guys who have passed me on bikes (I'm on foot!) are all spandex, logos, and spacecraft technology. Still I alwways give them a cheery bonjour.

I reckon the only regular excercise an ordinary Frenchman gets apart from the obvious is turning the ignition key of his car engine. I've yet to pass a single soul on foot on the grande randonees. It remains to be seen if cercis47 is a hardcore sports cyclist or prefers flat leafy lanes on Cap Ferrat

You are right about locks - I have yet to see a "cycle rack" anywhere in Nice. But come to that my local station in South London has a cycle rack outside, but I've yet to see a bike attached to it. Though sometimes a severed cablelock and no bike.

Cheers

France
Level Contributor
685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: another apartment question

I'm not sure I'd go for anywhere central on the 1st floor because unless it is really, really well insulated against the noise of the city you will definitely hear the night sounds. Also, be aware that soundproofing within a building really doesn't exist in France and so top floor of any building is the best place to be so that you are not woken by high heels, chairs scraping or the sound of bodily functions above you at ridiculous hours of the morning.

Roller blades/bikes along the Prom only but cycling in Nice? I'm with LondonBob on this one - don't do it!

5. Re: another apartment question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 20:19