We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Nice on a wet day next week

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
LANCASHIRE
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do in Nice on a wet day next week

Hi

Can anyone help with advice arriving in Nice for 5 days on Monday 7 staying in the Old Town. Looking at the weather forecast that doesnt look good so looking for ideas for things to do . We dont mind bus rides as we are not far from the Bus Station.

advice required about the tram system and any info about weekly bus tickets & prices please.

Regards

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Nice on a wet day next week

With a few exceptions, weather has been atrocious across much of Europe this year. We had ten days in Nice end of September of all times and hardly saw the sun. Only consolation is its worse back home.

A few strategies. Weather is often though not always variable up and down the coast and inland - check which way the cloud front is moving - is Monaco/Italy cloudy and Antibes/Cannes clear? Is it cloudy in the back-country or not? Its worth taking a punt on which direction to travel.If its just cloudy, be grateful and just travel.

If its bucketing (it happens) there are a more than few delights indoors - the museums and art galleries within Nice are a joy. Shopping at Galleries Lafayette Gourmand at Cap 3000, Monaco's splendid aquarium and car collections are all waterproof.

All else fails, carry a good book. I managed to read an 800 page software manual in September thanks to the lousy weather

Fingers crossed.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Nice on a wet day next week

the weekly bus ticket is 15 euros -you can use it to go to and from the airport on the express bus which costs 4 euros a ticket and unlimited use of the tram -plus on buses within the ligne d'azur network

[including TAM buses within this zone] so you can go to vence, Villefranche, Eze bord de mer, Beaulieu, Cagnes sure mer etc using this ticket

Outwith the ligne d'azur zone the TAM buses [and other company tickets ] are still one euro per journey but you need to pay the driver in cash, eg you can go to st martin vesubie in the mountains, menton, grasse , st paul de vence for one euro from Nice but you can't use the weekly ticket.[though you can go to VENCE on the weekly ticket]

Not sure what you want to know about the trams but they start running about 4.30am and finish about 2 am. they are spaced out early morning and late evening and more frequent during the day.

You come from Lancashire- it won't be as cold here even in the rain

Its quite possible to do stuff even in the rain- the views might not be a good if there is cloud cover but its still a different environment and it makes it easier to imagine what the places like Eze and St Paul de vence were like in the middle ages when its raining.

You can also go to parc phoenix which is one of Europes biggest greenhouses - kind of botanic garden/zoo/aquarium - 2 euros entry per person and kids under 12 are free. Also next door is the Asian Art museum which is free entry so a combined visit is a good day out.

there are loads of other museums- personally i hate shopping so would not be desperate to go to cap 3000 - i'd rather be out seeing more interesting stuff

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Nice on a wet day next week

realised my comment was ambiguous=- the express bus to nice from the airport is normally 4 euros per journey[its actually a ligen d'azur all day ticket] so you have essentially paid over half teh weekly tickket cost by the time you have bought 2 trips to the airport

[the 15 euros weekly ticket allows trips to the airport as well as unlimited journeys in the ligne d'azur network and includes trams]]

drawbacks to the weekly ticket are the fact that if it gets bend , lost or too wet it is void and not replaceable.

Also if you are travelling to visit st paul de vence , monaco and menton say, then these journeys need to be paid separately so check whether the journeys you want to make are included.

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Nice on a wet day next week

Originating from Lancashire myself, and spending many holidays as a child going camping in the Lake District or North Wales, I'd say, don't let the rain (or cloud) spoil the holiday. Admittedly, the Cote d'Azur is far more beautiful in the sun, and obviously I'd prefer that to the sort of continuous drizzle of the north west. Here are my tips for bad weather over here.

First, make sure you bring a light, waterproof jacket with a hood that you can fold up small and carry around. When the weather is just cloudy, with the occasional drop of rain, you can still walk about. You'll only need to take cover if we have a downpour.

I'd still recommend wandering Nice, and knowing where there are local bars and cafes where you can get out of the rain if necessary. The old town is a good bet. If the weather's dry, sit outside the Bar de la Degustation near the Palais de Justice. Or if it's bad, sit inside the bar Idee Halles on the rue de la Prefecture. As you wander the streets, you can also pop into the art galleries - there are 3 (if memory serves) very small ones that take about 15 minutes each to go round. There's also the Palais Lascaris which I haven't been to for ages. There are lots of other things to do in the old town that others have commented on in these forums.

Get to know the buses in Nice and you can get out to the Matisse museum up on the Cimiez hill, with a visit to the Chagal museum on the way up or down.

If it's bad on the 9th, there's a classical music concert at 11am in the opera house in Monte Carlo. If it's raining, you can buy tickets an hour before from the box office. If you do that, you can then see what the weather's like and take a chance in Eze on the way back to Nice - go round the perfume factory if it's raining.

Have lunch in one of the top restaurants if it's raining - lunch deals are usually much cheaper than eating in the evening, then catch a film at one of the cinemas that do original versions (VO) in the evening (the cinema on rue Rivoli, or the Mercure on place Garibaldi).

Finally (tho' I've not covered everything), get a decent guide book and search out the things to see that aren't top of the tourist list - all the quirky museums and galleries that people rarely see because when the weather's good, there's no incentive. One place I've never been, don't even know if it's still open, is the museum of cooking. I think it's in Cagnes sur Mer and has something to do with Escoffier. Might be worth a try.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Nice on a wet day next week

The english language VO films showing along the riviera are listed here [programme changes on a wednesday]

riviera.angloinfo.com/information/movies.asp

There are lots of cinemas in Nice showing films that are dubbed into French or French language films too

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Nice on a wet day next week

Visit the fine museums: Chagall, Matisse, des Beaux Arts, modern art, Palais Lascaris in Vieux Nice. Also in Vieux Nice is the interesting Chapelle de la Miséracorde, a Baroque gem. That's enough for two days easily.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,204 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Nice on a wet day next week

Make sure you have a good umbrella. When it rains in Nice it doesn't mess about. You can be soaked in seconds. We will be there too but we have painting to do in our flat, easier if the sun isn't shining. Still, hope the sun shines. Whatever anyone says, the Riviera is not much cop without the sun.

London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Nice on a wet day next week

MC: from what little I know the Escoffier connection is Villenuve Loubet - not the Marina Baie des Anges, the Village which is miles inland. I've yet to check it out as, like Biot village, there doesn't seem to be a direct bus connection from Nice, or at least I've not found it. Glad to be enlightened.

Cheers

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in Nice on a wet day next week

NiceLife - yes, now I remember, I think it is Villeneve Loubet - I don't have my guidebooks with me and couldn't be bothered to surf the net to find it. If you ever get there, let us know what it's like.

London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in Nice on a wet day next week

Next rainy day I guess. I've found a Nice bus connection prompted by this thread. Villeneuve Village is a stop on the 500 Nice - Grasse bus.Thats one for the next trip.

Cheers!