We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I eat out in Nice in the evening for a reasonable price?

ANTRIM
Level Contributor
268 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Can I eat out in Nice in the evening for a reasonable price?

Hi, can you please tell me if it is reasonable to eat out and have a drink in the evening in Nice. You hear stories of ridiculous prices of which I could not afford, but would love to go and see Nice for a couple of days. Would appreciate your help on this this please.

Hannah

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,296 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I eat out in Nice in the evening for a reasonable price?

We recently returned from Nice and had no trouble finding meals at affordable prices. Our new favorite was O' Palermo, which has fine Italian and French food and is a very charming restaurant. The nearby La Pizza is also excellent. Both are on the rue Masséna, a main shopping street where you will find any number of restaurants and cafés. The same applies to Vieux Nice, where our long-time standby is L'Ecurie, at 4, rue du Marché.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I eat out in Nice in the evening for a reasonable price?

So much choice of eateries, such a wide range of prices.You could be ripped off-there are some nouvelle cuisine restaurants in the old town that charge ridiculous prices.I was stung once but then I wised up by studying the menus outside first. But if you avoid the tourist catchment areas the competition keeps the prices reasonable. Depends what and how grandly you want to eat.

I recommend Chez Davia on Rue Grimaldi if you want authentic Nicoise cuisine at reasonable prices. Pre-book or arrive early eg 7.15pm.

If all you want is pizza or pasta so much choice and low prices all over the city.So reasonable compared with the likes of London.Wine and beer are expensive in restaurants. Food less so.

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I eat out in Nice in the evening for a reasonable price?

There are expensive places and cheap places, just as anywhere else in the world. As the previous poster said, check the prices on the menu outside before going in. Bars also have to display their basic prices, but beware, with bars, there's sometimes a surcharge, either depending on where you sit, or on the time of day. It's usually cheaper to stand at the bar than to sit at one of the tables (the surcharge is for waiter service). Also, a bar may increase its prices at times throughout the day - cheapest up to about 6pm, first increase up to 10pm, most expensive after 10pm - presumably, staff cost more out of normal working hours.

As well as checking before sitting, always check your bill. It's not uncommon to be given someone else's by mistake.

Other tips to keep it cheap:

Eat more at lunchtime, when prices in restaurants are usually cheaper. Many have a lunchtime menu that's not available in the evening.

Check the prices of the tourist menus. Often a menu that includes starter, main and dessert will be cheaper than putting 3 courses together off the "carte". Sometimes you get coffee or a glass of wine with the menu too.

Eat just a main dish. All restaurants I've been in give you bread, so you can eat plenty of bread with your one dish if you don't think it'll be enough. Alternatively, if there are 2 of you, share a starter and have a main dish each. Often, the starters are too big for one person alone, and it's very common for 2 people to share. Similarly with a dessert.

For drinks, when you sit down, check what others are drinking. If they've all got jugs of wine, then order that rather than a bottle. If more people have bottles, then go for a Cote du Rhone, which is usually a reasonable price for quality. If you want water, be careful to order a "carafe" of tap water, which is free, rather than an expensive bottle of "plat" or "frizzante/gaseuse". For coffee, go for a plain espresso rather than a milky cappuccino.

Other places to keep the cost down - the Chinese serve yourself and eat in places. Any of the Italian ones and limiting yourself to either pizza or pasta. Or, if you're going during summer, buy ingredients for a picnic and go to the beach in the evening.

Essentially tho', it depends what your idea of reasonable is. Some people go for quality over quantity, some people aren't happy unless the plate is groaning with food but don't care too much about the quality. Some people think paying more than the price of a burger and fries is outrageous. Others would rather eat out just once and pay for a Michelin starred experience.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I eat out in Nice in the evening for a reasonable price?

Just returned from Italy via Paris. I'm afraid for us Brits, with £1 virtually equal to 1 euro, everything on the continent is appreciably more expensive than a year ago. I wish I understood economics! One can ameliorate things a tiny bit by opening a Nationwide BS 'flexiaccount' and getting euros from a bank machine in France. Nationwide is about the only one that doesn't charge commission and one gets a slightly better exchange rate than by buying euros.

ANTRIM
Level Contributor
268 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I eat out in Nice in the evening for a reasonable price?

Thanks to you all who replied.

Every bit of information is very helpful. I love pasta and pizza, and I was hoping I would get this evening meal for around around 15 - 20 Euros per person. Am I hoping for too much??? I am just looking for a nice basic restaurant.

Thanks again you have been very helpful and I will book my trip to Nice.

Hannah

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I eat out in Nice in the evening for a reasonable price?

For 2 people, pizza or pasta, plus a half liter jug of wine should be between 35 and 45 euros, depending on the simplicity of the basic dish. Pasta with tomato sauce (napolitaine) is usually cheapest and pizza with just tomato and cheese (also napolitaine) is cheapest. More "exotic" flavours increase the dish price by 3 to 7 euros. For instance if you have something like pasta with seafood sauce (alla vongole), or something like a 4 seasons (quattro staggione) pizza.

But don't limit yourself to just those. There are plenty of "regional" dishes that you should be able to find for around 20 euros. Look out for:

escaloppe milanaise (thin veal steak in breacrumbs), usually served with either pasta or frites.

petits farcis - vegetables stuffed with a mince/rice/vegetable mixture.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I eat out in Nice in the evening for a reasonable price?

there are loads of places that do fixed menus for that price range -esp area near train station which is very diverse - exotic= moroccan, japanese, chinese/thai and also basic french family type places and pizzerias.

you can even get a fixed price menu from the upmarket restaurant l'univers http://www.christian-plumail.com/ for 22 euros [2 courses -either starter and main or main and dessert

ANTRIM
Level Contributor
268 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I eat out in Nice in the evening for a reasonable price?

Thanks, the replies are great.

Hannah

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,216 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I eat out in Nice in the evening for a reasonable price?

Hello Hanna,

Two years ago there were plenty of places in Nice where you could get a freshly cooked three course meal of local produce for nine euro, then about six pounds, about the cost of a bowl of soup in many London restaurants. Prices rose a bit last year to a base price of 12 euro, with 15 being more common.

I like eating in the flower market, the ultimate tourist area, and rarely pay more than 15/18 euro for Le Menu, the fixed price meal with usually a choice of three dishes for each course. This usually means that you will get smaller portions than the a la carte but exactly the same food.

I have eaten in Nice something like 200 times, almost never paid more than 20 euro and never had a bad meal, which is not something I could say about any English city.

The only time I ever had a meal in Antrim town, many years ago, the waitress who had turned her head to talk to someone she knew, tipped the entire contents of my plate of fish and chips onto the not very clean table, laughed and walked away. I was young and hungry, so I gathered everything up and ate it.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,296 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I eat out in Nice in the evening for a reasonable price?

At O' Palermo you can have a big plate of pasta for 11 to 15 Euros, pizza for less, and if you stick to wine by the jug you'll do fine.

On the rue Halévy, between the rue Masséna and the Promenade des Anglais, is a very good Asian-food place with reasonable prices. You can just point at the items you want from the large case, and they will be heated for you to take to a table. Some items are under 1 Euro; so you can have a veritable feast for less than 15.