We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best spot in Nice

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Topic
Best spot in Nice

We can't decide where to stay in Nice. We will be travelling in October. We were thinking of the Promenade d'Anglais. Is it worth paying the extra for a sea view room? Any hotel suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best spot in Nice

Go for somewhere like the Hotel Suisse - that gives you a view of the whole Baie des Anges and not just a flat sea/skyline.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best spot in Nice

sometimes, an hotel and a room with sea view is not more expensive

but that depends of you

it's true you can choose a nice hotel and a room with no special view, very quiet and cheap

you will travel the day and see the sea

I think, it's more important the quality and rates

Siesta Key, Florida
Destination Expert
for St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Level Contributor
418 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best spot in Nice

I'll say go for the view if you are normally not near water - there is something majical about opening your window and seeing water. The Hotel Suisse or La Perouse give a great viwe of Nice too...

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best spot in Nice

We would agree about the Promenade des Anglais. Hotels vary from the Negresco (superb and v. expensive) to Le Royal (much cheaper, wonderful position and lovely building but not very luxurious).

An advantage of a sea-view is that the room will be south-facing and therefore more sunny, important in October. Have a good holiday.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best spot in Nice

We have stayed twice now at the Mercure Promenade des Anglais and been very happy with the hotel. Our sea-view rooms were large and comfortable, with good-sized bathrooms. The beds were about the best we've found in France. Two doors with a gap in between separate the room from the outside; so noise is minimal. And yes, it's worth paying for a room with a sea view.

Skip the buffet breakfast and go down the street to a café, or over to the Cours Saléya and Le Pain Quotidien--about a 3-block walk.

You can find the Mercure at the accorhotels.com web site, and there are often special offers.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best spot in Nice

I agree with NiceLife aabout the views, preferring the view from the east end around Hotel Suisse and La Perouse, as opposed to the flat sea/land views from the middle of the Promenade. We've stayed at the Suisse and really liked it - modern, clean, decent-sized rooms and bathrooms, a/c, elevator and absolutely amazing views. We met some folks staying next door at La Perouse and they were paying quite a bit more for the same view. Maybe the rooms were much fancier? La Perouse does have a roof-top pool, but it has a view of the hillside behind the hotel as opposed to a sea view.

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best spot in Nice

La Perouse does have sea views. They have different rooms with different views. We've stayed in 4 sorts of rooms there, one suite on the top, one room at the top, one room maybe a couple of floors from the top. All these had excellent sea views. We also stayed in a garden room which was very peaceful, opened onto the courtyard.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best spot in Nice

Sorry - I meant that the pool doesn't have sea views. Of course most of the rooms do. I just looked at the two websites -

exclusive-hotels.com/Hotel-Suisse-Nice_295.h…

http://www.hotel-la-perouse.com/en/

Hotel Suisse is running about 195 Euros/nt for October, and the Perouse is 395 Euros/nt. Given that they are right next door to one another and have the same views, you really have to enjoy the luxury hotel thing a lot, and plan to spend a lot of time at the hotel to make it worthwhile IMO. Both are great locations, though.

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best spot in Nice

Do stay on the promanade des anglais, but a room with a sea view comes with noise!!! from traffic, try for a room at the back of the hotel but has a roof terrace hotel mecure is one.

Good luck

merseyside
Destination Expert
for Kalymnos
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best spot in Nice

Hi.

I have stayed at the Hotel Suisse a few times. I always get a room on the top floor. Yes there is a lot of traffic but it slows down by the hotel to go round the corner and there are fewer lanes of traffic as there are along the promenade. Get a room on the top floor and pay the exta for a balcony to sit out on and enjoy the view. Some of the rooms only have a window and no balcony.

www.hotels-ocre-azur.com

email hotel.suisse@hotels-ocre-azur.com