We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dividing Nice & Provence

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
428 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Dividing Nice & Provence

Hi! We are spending 6 nights in the Provence region and would mainly like to explore the countryside. However, we've heard so much about Nice and Monaco, and would like to spend maybe two days to see (a glimpse of) these places. Sorry, can't extend the time.

1. We are flying from Brussels and can choose either Marseille or Nice to fly in to. Which is better? We are departing from Marseille.

2. Should we split the 6 nights into 2 nights (Eastern Provence) and 4 nights (Western Provence)?

3. Where is/ are a good base?

Thanks!

Aria

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
428 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dividing Nice & Provence

p.s. Was looking at flights and flying to Nice is $50 more. If it's more cost-effective to fly into Nice, spend 2 nights then move on to Western Provence. Maybe it's worth it?

I've been looking at the forums and it seems that from Western Provence to Nice is 3 hours by car, hmm...

help...

Toronto
Level Contributor
30 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dividing Nice & Provence

Your decision should be based on your interests and what attracts you to the area. For example if you are after the night life and beaches I would suggest that you stay in the Cote D'Azur. It sounds like you are more interested in the countryside. There is much to see in both areas.

I would suggest that you split your stay equally.

Base yourself in the Nice or Cannes area and explore Monaco, Eze, Villefranche, Nice, Cannes, Antibes.

If you like art, don't miss St. Paul du Vence and Vallauris.

There is lots to see in 3-4 days.

Then move to Avignon for 3-4 days and explore Chateauneuf du Pape, The Pont du Gard, Aix en Provence, Arles and the many small towns like Gordes, Fontaine de Vaucluse and Rousillon.

Again, much more to see than you could do in 3-4 days.

france
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dividing Nice & Provence

francetraveller's advice is perfect. personally I hate Monaco - tall ugly buildings. I like Cannes more than Nice. Also in western Provence Les Baux is another place in addition to the list given to you.

have fun. If you go to Monaco, drive the moyen corniche on the way back to Nice and visit Eze.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
428 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dividing Nice & Provence

Wow! Thanks a lot to you both! Good advice taken.

Initially, I planned to take the trains from Belgium to Provence then from Provence to Rennes. But after a considerable amount of research (and burning eyes (@-@) ), it appears that Easyjet flies from Brussels to Nice and Airfrance flies from Marseille to Rennes. That makes it a bit easier.

If we make Nice a base, can we get by visiting Eze, Monaco, etc. by using public transportation? Or is it much better to rent a car?

Moving on to Western Provence from Nice, is driving better than train?

Thanks.

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dividing Nice & Provence

Yes, you can visit Eze and Monaco from Nice using public transport. Buses 112 and 82 go to Eze, buses 112, 100 and 100x to to Monaco, trains also run between Nice and Monaco, and you can get the train to Eze bord de mer and then bus 83 up to Eze village. There are lots of postings on these forums about the trip.

Toronto
Level Contributor
30 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dividing Nice & Provence

Most towns and villages along the Cote D'Azur are easily accessible by train or bus.

For Provence things are more spread out and there is much less traffic. I would recommend a car. This will allow you to explore at your own pace.

7. Re: Dividing Nice & Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 07:26