We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thefts in Nice are on the increase

Indre, France
Level Contributor
6 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Thefts in Nice are on the increase

DO NOT leave your car parked on the street with any valuables (even if they are not visible). After a recent theft & discussions with police & locals (we live in France), we discovered that petty theft & burglary, including in hotels, is on a massive increase in Nice. At the police station where we filed our complaint there were persons who were robbed on the train, in the street, & in their hotel room (not hotel staff, but persons breaking into the room).

Our car has an alarm & we stopped just for lunch, next to a major hotel on the Promenade des Anglais (a busy area). It was a spur of the moment decision on our return after a few days holiday in the south, & we foolishly forgot our own rule: ALWAYS park in a parking facility with video surveillance if there are valuables in the car. Even then its not a guarantee of protection, but it increases it. Our car has been burgled 4 times in the past 12 years, and never in a parking lot.

So, be attentive!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,621 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thefts in Nice are on the increase

Even better, avoid Nice. It's grossly over-rated anyway. Better to spend your time in inland Provence, or perhaps a lower-key beachfront place such as Menton.

Indre, France
Level Contributor
6 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thefts in Nice are on the increase

Fully agree that Nice has little to offer. We were staying in Menton (our favorite for the south), but stopped in Nice for shopping for things not available in our area (the car was in a lot). Our problem was that it was a last minute decision on our way driving out of the city to have a bite at one of the restaurants down on the water, also one of our pleasures in Nice....

As for Provence, we live there & our car has been broken in to in: La Coste (a cloth sac was on the back seat with nothing valuable); Aix-en-Provence (luggage in the trunk, but we had foreign plates so they took the risk); and another time in Nice, but nothing lost. Since cars are so often burgled in France we installed an alarm & usually park in lots. Expensive, but effective.

My posting was primarily to inform that the police & locals have noticed a significant increase in the activity of thieves in Nice, which has always had a relatively high crime rate of petty theft.

Bottom line: France has a very high rate of burglary in cars, so be careful!

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thefts in Nice are on the increase

I live in Nice - there is no massive increase in thefts and burglaries you are reporting. The police all over the world always say -'oh we get a lot of this' to people reporting crimes.

Nice does have some petty crime [as does every other city big and small] but people leaving valuables or anything in cars [especially foreign registered or hire cars] perpetuates it.

Don't leave anything in a car you can't afford to lose - and this applies anywhere in the world.

Personally I would say Nice was vastly underrated by most people and that it has masses to offer but it doesn't suit everyone.

Indre, France
Level Contributor
6 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thefts in Nice are on the increase

I am glad that you have neither been a victim nor met any victims, but perhaps you are not aware of what is happening currently.

The POLICE (several, not just one or two) stated that there was often more than 5 thefts reported per day, and that it was getting worse! This was also repeated by the policeman we spoke to yesterday over the phone (we keep hoping something else will be found since all they got were 2 bags with clothes).

Five other theft-victims were present during the time we filed our complaint. Our problem happened this past week & the police at the Commissariat told us thefts had increased dramatically over the past months. In addition, MANY people living in the region where the car was broken into (next to Negresco) and in between there & where one bag was found (Victor Hugo & Grimaldi) described details of what they had personally seen or experienced recently. Assuming the police & residents are not all lying or exaggerating, thefts are on the increase in Nice, so people should be on the alert & take steps to minimize risks.

Also, as stated before, we live here so the car does not have foreign plates (albeit the plates are not Nice). We both were amazed that they bothered to take the risk since it wasn't a luxury car, nothing was visible, & we hadn't opened the trunk (another thing to remember). I assume they took the chance were were on holiday since the plates were not local & there wasn't a parking ticket, since it's free between 12-14:00, indicating that we had probably just stopped for lunch, which was true...

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thefts in Nice are on the increase

Theft from cars is something that happens in all cities-its not unique in any way to Nice.

Out of area plates are an attraction as are foreign and hire car registrations

Parking on the street in a tourist hotspot by the Negresco is also a flag to thieves.

Leaving anything in a car, even in the boot, is a mistake unless the car is in a supervised area and even then I wouldn't risk it.

Btw I do know folk who have had stuff stolen from their cars - here and other places on the coast and in the UK.

I can't think of any of them that have had it happen more than once or in recent years in Nice or the coast and no one i know here is talking about it happening frequently or with increasing frequency.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thefts in Nice are on the increase

I am inclined to agree with the quote from Sandy Wilson's play The Boyfriend, that 'nowhere is quite as nice as Nice'. I have spent a good part of the last ten years in and around the city without changing my view that it is my favourite medium sized European city. Apart from the views, architecture, food, weather and general ambience, one of the great things is that you can wander almost anywhere at almost any time in complete safety.

I am prepared to believe that there is a good deal of theft from tourists but, to the best of my knowledge, this does not seem to be accompanied by the violence that is common in London and other British cities.

One of the things that makes the world interesting is that people have different ideas and opinions. You would have to pay me quite a lot to spend more than a day or two in Menton.

Level Contributor
280 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thefts in Nice are on the increase

We have been motoring in France this past 18 years, always with either foreign reg car or with hire car. We have parked the car in most towns and cities in South of France almost always on the side of the street - never had a car break in, never even a scratch or mark on the car.

In all the towns & cities in Europe Nice feels the safest day and night, I see 3 different police forces on routine patrol on the promenade during the high season all keeping a watchful eye. The closest I have seen to daylight 'crime' was being approached to buy jewellery on the promenade only for the seller to beat a hasty retreat when he spotted one of these patrols.

Nice has a lot to offer apart from the shopping, eating,friendly locals & shop keepers,low crime,good weather,plentiful accomodation,nice people, architecure, panoramic views...

France
Level Contributor
685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thefts in Nice are on the increase

Mon dieu! We moved to France in spring 2003 and in December that year the CD player was stolen from my car (with considerable damage to the car) - which was parked outside my house in a sleepy little former fishing village where the police station is closed for a 2 hour+ lunch. At the time it was a huge shock (coming from London) but it's the only crime I've ever encountered - although the same car has suffered grievously from bumps and scratches being parked on the Prom. des Ang. for 12 months!!!!

Crime is crime is crime and it will happen wherever and whenever there is opportunity. To the poster who mentioned 5 thefts a day in Nice I would say that in a city that size and that touristy it is incredibly low and no cause for alarm just yet. It's not going to turn into the Manhattan of the 1970's - you can and should still enjoy one of the greatest cities in the world!

nashville, tennessee
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thefts in Nice are on the increase

sydneynick wrote: "[Even better, avoid Nice. It's grossly over-rated anyway. Better to spend your time in inland Provence, or perhaps a lower-key beachfront place such as Menton.]"

LarieM wrote: "[Fully agree that Nice has little to offer. We were staying in Menton]"

These are very interesting comments to me. Granted, I have never lived in Nice but spent a whole month there a couple of years ago and even with the city all dug up because of the tram work I thought it was an extremely charming place. A city that would possibly have something to offer just about everyone. Menton on the other hand was too small, uneventful and maybe a bit geriatric.

But I would like to know what, apart from some petty crimes is it that some people dislike about Nice? Just wondering............

Indre, France
Level Contributor
6 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thefts in Nice are on the increase

We have traveled there many times over the past 25 years. For me, Nice offers some good restaurants, & traveling through we usually stop at Galeries Lafayette to get some things not readily available in our area. My wife likes it more than me, particularly for shopping, but after this last burglary she claims we wont return, but then I doubt that... The "Chateau" up on the hill between Baie des Anges & the old port offers a spectacular view & is excellent exercise! The flower market is nice, and the old city too for the architecture, although its rather touristy now a days.

Menton IS a sleepy town, which is why we like it. It also has some excellent restaurants, but it is primarily a base for visiting Hanbury, our favorite garden in the south just across the border into Italy, and other gardens in Menton & the region. Good hotels are also cheaper than in Nice.

For those visiting the region, a visit to Hanbury is a must if you like rather "wild" gardens. We have been going there over the past 10 years & its always a pleasure, irrelevant of the season. But, next month will have a spectacular flowering of Wisteria so if in the area make the detour. Check them out on the web.