We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 Nights in Nice Advice

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
6 Nights in Nice Advice

Hi All,

Thanks to the many wonderful posts by the members on TA we've bought our tickets to visit France Sept. 1-12. We're working with 11 nights and will probably look to split the nights evenly between Paris and Nice. I have a few questions if anyone would be kind enough to offer any advice.

Would you be inclined to stay 6 nights in Paris and 5 nights in Nice or the other way around?

Once in Nice we will be staying at the Le Palais De La Mediterranee and taking day-trips to many of the great places mentioned on other posts. However, would it make more sense to travel by train or to rent a car to visit places like Monte Carlo, but more specifically the towns that may not be so accessible by car? Also, would you recommend staying only 3-4 nights in Nice and maybe 2 nights somewhere else like Villefranche?

Finally, this is our honeymoon so I think we will be looking to get car transfers to and from the airport. Is it best to set this up through the hotel or through a private service on our own?

I know that many of the questions I have are almost wholly based on personal preference but I wanted to get the perspective and insight from people that have visited the area.

Thank you again,

Tom

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 Nights in Nice Advice

I would spend 4 nights in Paris, two nights in Avignon or Lyon, and the rest in Nice. Villefranche-sur-Mer (assuming this is the Villefranche you're referring to) is very close to Nice (6 mins on the train) so hardly worth moving there from Nice. The train network is very extensive and it's very easy to visit places like Monte Carlo on the train. The route is beautiful too as the railtrack largely follows the seaside.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 Nights in Nice Advice

To be honest, since you are staying at the palais de la med ,it is easiest and cheapest to get the express bus 98 unless you have loads of luggage bus which costs 4 euros per person .

the bus stop just by the hotel at Congres/promenade

Unless you want to stay late in Monaco, take the train or bus - bus is more frequent and much cheaper at one Euro per journey but finishes at around 8, trains finish around midnight

Nice is the best base for the surrounding area if you want to see other places due to the good transport links

Nice, France
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 Nights in Nice Advice

I would spend 5 nights in Paris, 2 in Avignon and the remaining nights in Nice...

If you decide not to rent a car, the bus from Nice airport is probably your best option as it's only a short distance from the Palais de la Méditerranée and taxi fares are pretty steep over here.

As for car rental vs. public transport, personally I like the freedom of having my own means of transportation and September usually is not too bad in terms of traffic.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 Nights in Nice Advice

I'd stick with the Paris 6 days and Nice 5 days and not add anything in between. Your stay is already short, so the more stops you add the less you will see and you will be more tired carrying around your bags from town to town.

How will you travel from Paris to Nice (TGV train is 6.5 hours while plane is 1.5 hours (and less hassle since it is a local flight)).

Cab will be OK from Nice airport as shuttles are more expensives according to yout destination.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,262 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 Nights in Nice Advice

Airport bus! These people are on their honeymoon! I suspect my marriage would have been short lived if I had asked my wife to struggle on to a crowded airport bus on our honeymoon and, quite possibly, stand all the way to the hotel. There will be at least 100 taxis waiting at the airport happy to take you to the Palais for about 30 euro.

Usually I am not keen on moving between hotels but Villefranche or Cap Ferrat would give you a significantly different experience for the last two days, as both are much more peaceful than Nice and the Welcome, Villefranche's best hotel, is in a much nicer location than anywhere on the frantic Promenade Des Anglais. As I may have advised before, if you could afford it, two nights at the Grand Hotel du Cap Ferrat would be the perfect end to your trip.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 Nights in Nice Advice

If the taxis and shuttles involved some sort of fabulous luxury - being carried on litters with folk waving peacock feather fans, I'd say go for it as part of the honeymoon experience.

Sadly they don't, so IMO use the saved money to do something more worthwhile. Its not like the bus stops are far from the airport terminal or the hotel

I've never had to stand from the airport to Nice centre on any of the buses - 99, 98 or even the 23

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
239 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 Nights in Nice Advice

SelkieNice you have been very lucky with the airport bus. I have used it at least 8 times and never had a seat yet! It is a real "bunfight" in my opinion and not one I would relish on my honeymoon to be frank.

Also, there is the stress of not really knowing where to get off if it is your first time.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 Nights in Nice Advice

scentsitive -do you get the 98?

I would say that was generally the busiest

The 23 is really good now so that's my current method of choice. It does get packed on the way into town and in the other direction after the train station but there are only a handful of folk getting on at terminal 1 so everyone definitely gets a seat.

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 Nights in Nice Advice

Thank you for all the wonderful replies and advice. I think that we will stay 5 nights in Paris, 4 nights in Nice, and if possible the last 2 nights at the Grand Hotel du Cap Ferrat as suggested by LondonBob. It's not far off from Nice so we wouldn't be wasting much time, but it seems like we would get a different, more relaxing experience.

I've been to their site and the hotel seems like it would be great, however it seems they don't have any standard rooms available during the dates I plan to go. Their prices are around $1500 for the least expensive room available and that is probably $500 more than I would be willing to spend.

So as I assumed, going to places like Monte Carlo and some other towns just make more sense to take the train. But there are other smaller towns that having a car might be better. So I thought that we could do the train for the first few days and then rent a car for like days 3 and 4 in Nice. Would this make sense and are there rental companies near my hotel?

YYMCA6, we will be flying from Paris to Nice so as to save time. And I think we will hire a car service as it is our honeymoon. I'd just like the trip to be as easy and nice as possible even though the bus sounds very accessible.

- Tom

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 Nights in Nice Advice

I've used ATS a few times, very reliable, english-speaking drivers, a bit more expensive than a cab but you can ask for a private shutlle (very nice when you leave ice as you don't have to worry about getting a cab and not miss your flight).

http://www.a-t-s.net/en/Default.aspx