We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on wether to visit Marseilles or Corsica

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on wether to visit Marseilles or Corsica

Hi all,

Will be in Nice for a week in June and although I love the city and the Riviera think I should visit either Marseilles or get the ferry to Corsica for a night or two. Has anyone been to either and which one would you recommend. Corsica looks like an amazing island but am confused as to where to visit or where the best beaches are.

Cheers for any advice in advance.

Craig

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on wether to visit Marseilles or Corsica

Corsica would get my vote of the two but i didn't go for beaches so I can't help there .

BTW You can do one day trips to corsica from Nice on the high speed crossing -with either 5 and half hours or 9 hours in corsica.

This is as well as the overnight 'escapades' or longer stays. I've decided to do a Corsica daytrip this year myself

info here

http://www.sncm.fr/editorial.php?Rub=289

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on wether to visit Marseilles or Corsica

Thanks, I saw an express service called Express that is down to 2 hrs 45 mins to Corsica so that could be an option. I dont think id be able to do Marseille too in a day, how long would it take on the TGV?

cHEERS

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on wether to visit Marseilles or Corsica

I've done trips to marseille in a day -not quite the same excitement attached as a day trip to corsica

The train takes 2 and a half hours and is about 30 euros single

last train back to Nice leaves around 9pm

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on wether to visit Marseilles or Corsica

Thanks Corsica it is, the ferries are quite cheap. Now I have to decided where>? Calvi, Bastia, Ajaccio, spell check soz.

Cheers

Nice, France
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on wether to visit Marseilles or Corsica

Corsica is an amazing island indeed!

Two of its most renowned beaches, Santa Giulia and Palombaggia, are in the South but there are no direct ferries to Portovecchio from Nice.

If you're only going for a couple of days, it's best to sail to either Calvi or L'Ile Rousse (3 hours with the NGV) or Ajaccio (4 hours).

From the 'Sanguinaires' Isles (North) to the Capo di Muro (South) The Gulf of Ajaccio is dotted with gorgeous beaches too, my favourite is 'Sole e Mare' dubbed the 'silver beach' because of the colour of its sand.

A boat trip to the natural reserve of Scandola is a must-do (various possibilities from Ajaccio, Cargese, Porto, L'Ile Rousse...). This is an experience you'll never forget!

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on wether to visit Marseilles or Corsica

We went to Corsica (from Nice) for 5 days a couple of years ago. Got the ferry to Bastia, train to Calvi, train to Ajaccio (with a lunch stop in l'Ile Rousse), then ferry back from Ajaccio.

We didn't warm to Bastia, but then we couldn't find a hotel in the centre. Calvi was nice, if a bit touristy. Really liked Ile Rousse, even tho' there was a massive storm while we were there. But we loved the centre of town. We also really enjoyed Ajaccio, although it was a bit more urban.

On the way back, our ferry was diverted to Toulon because the very rough seas meant it couldn't get into Nice. Overall, a very memorable "tasting" of Corsica which made us want to go back, probably with a car, as you can't get to the south easily by public transport.

7. Re: Advice on wether to visit Marseilles or Corsica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2009, 05:38