We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice to Venice - best way???

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
City of Roses
7 posts
Save Topic
Nice to Venice - best way???

Hi all! My sister and I are taking a trip to Europe. we are leaving at the end of this month (June 2009) and are now in the process of booking travel within Europe. We are running into one dilemma: how to get from Nice to Venice in the fastest and cheapest way possible. The travel date must be July 7th. We tried booking a flight through Baboo but ran into technical difficulties and now the one and only flight leaving that day is apparently booked. I'm wondering if there are other flight options just as cheap as Baboo or if there is a good night train that leaves on the 6th of July. I have searched around for night train options but have not found much and all of the night trains mentioned throughout the forums here are without specific names or links. Other than flight or train I don't know what other options we have.

Sorry for the super long post everyone! Any info would greatly help and will be very appreciated.

Thank you!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,112 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice to Venice - best way???

The night train from Nice into Italy has been discontinued. You could catch a train from Nice at 10.02, change in Milan at 14.50, and get to Venice at 17.40. There are some other trains, but they take up to 12 hours.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice to Venice - best way???

The above suggestion is probably your best option (such a shame the night train has been discontinued, we took it several times in past years and it was very convenient).

I checked the flights on www.prixdesvoyages.com but they are very expensive and most of them are not even direct flights...

3. Re: Nice to Venice - best way???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 October 2015, 18:02
City of Roses
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice to Venice - best way???

Wow, really? When we were checking last night it was showing no seat options and kept giving an error message. I will try checking again today.

City of Roses
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice to Venice - best way???

That is a big bummer but thank you for letting me know so I don't keep searching for a night train :)

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,290 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice to Venice - best way???

Not a silly answer I hope but have you considered driving (renting the car in Italy though...)? It is a 575 km drive (more or less 5 hours on highways).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,112 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice to Venice - best way???

Driving could be a good idea. San Remo is some 525 km from Venice by autostrade, with a driving time of 5 hours plus any stops.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice to Venice - best way???

6 hours (in normal traffic conditions) sounds more realistic.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,169 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice to Venice - best way???

It is not really such a good idea to drive to Venice. Trouble is that it takes over an hour to get to San Remo on the train, and much longer if you don't make a good connection at Ventimiglia (only the 10.02 is a suitable direct train).

Then there will be a taxi from San Remo train station to whichever car hire agency you are using. Add on the time for the paperwork either end and suitable rest stops en route, and your car journey will take as long or longer than the train, involve more transfers, and will cost very much more unless you are travelling with a large group. And once you leave the coast, the drive is not very interesting anyway.

It can sometimes be a good idea to go to San Remo and hire a car for use in Italy. But not for a drive to Venice, where a car is totally useless, and will only be returned to an agency or sit in a very expensive parking lot the whole time you are there.

10. Re: Nice to Venice - best way???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2009, 05:25