We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice - Beach advice! (for a backpacker!)

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nice - Beach advice! (for a backpacker!)

Hey all,

I am going to Nice for 3 maybe 4 nights end of July, thinking of staying at Hostel Baccarat 39, rue d'Angleterre, Nice, France 06000 which apparently is near the station but 15 mins walk from the beach - does anyone know if there are buses etc that you may be able to hop on for when you really cant be bothered to walk in the heat lol!

Also is Nice beach like do they have sunbeds to hire etc? Or do you have to go to a private beach for this? if so where are the private beaches?

We are hoping to go to the beach at Antibes and Cannes are they near the train stations in those places?

Another question is if I went for a night out in Juan Les Pins is there public transport to get to back to Nice or would I have to get a taxi and how much would this be?

Thanks for your help sorry for the million questions its all a bit last minute!

Becca

Provence Alpes Cote...
Level Contributor
634 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice - Beach advice! (for a backpacker!)

Hi,

The lounge chairs & parasols are all for rent on the dozen or so private beaches in Nice. You can't miss them with their striped or color themed plush sunbeds set up in rows facing the sea & the attached restaurant and bar behind.

Thankfully, Nice is not all private beach. Between the private set-ups, stretches of public beaches offer plenty of room also. Bring a padded mat if the pebbles bother you. Also bring water shoes if they really bug you.

Cannes, Antibes & JLP are easily accessible from Nice by train. Antibes has a number of (crowded) beaches near town within a couple of km from the train station (Plage de la Gravette, Plage de La Salis). The beautiful Cap d'Antibes and its more upscale nice beaches is not within walking distance. There are shuttle buses running from town to Cap d'Antibes.

Enjoy!

AzurAlive.com

london
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice - Beach advice! (for a backpacker!)

thanks so much!

Are there buses from the train station to town centre so we can get the shuttle bus to the beach? Is there a bus from the station to go to other beaches too?

Thank you!

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice - Beach advice! (for a backpacker!)

The tram runs from near Nice railway station to close by the beach. Check out google maps or similar to see where beaches and railway stations are in relation to each other. In general, you'll have about a 5 to 15 min walk in both Cannes and Antibes to get to the beach from the railway station.

Getting back from Juan les Pins is easy by train up to about midnight. After that, there's a night bus on Thurs, Fri & Sat nights that goes from Cannes to Nice, stopping at various places along the way. It leaves Antibes bus station at about 1.30 and 3.00. The timetable and stops can be downloaded from here:

www.cg06.fr/document/…

Norfolk, United...
Level Contributor
282 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice - Beach advice! (for a backpacker!)

As an alternative, train station to town centre (assuming you mean half way down Jean Medecin, which is the modern main high street) is perfectly walkable in about 10 minutes. Add another 15 minutes, and you are at the beach.

We are unfit, smoking, doughnut-loving, hard-drinking, ancient old crones and have done it several times, sometimes while dragging enough luggage for a fortnight.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice - Beach advice! (for a backpacker!)

The nearest beach in Cannes is close to the train station- ~ 4 to 5 minutes walk. Cannes has about 7 miles of beaches, so you can walk much further too!

In Antibes, it's a bit further to the town beaches~ 15 minutes or so

Night out in JLP:

The rail station in JLP is central and the last train to Nice is around midnight.This is the easiest way back.

Otherwise, there is an N200 night bus which operates on Thursday Friday and Saturday and goes to Nice airport. You can catch it from the Regence bus stop in Juan Les Pins which is close to the centre- use the times on the schedule for Square Nabonnand in Golfe Juan as your guide.

nice.aeroport.fr/upload/lignebus/9158141.pdf

From Nice Airport, the N4 trambus goes into Nice centre, but it stops at 1.51, so you could end up paying for an expensive taxi at the airport.

NocTRAMbus N4 - Nice J.C. Bermond Station (Evening Services)

Departures Lindbergh, in front of Terminal 1 (Novotel Hotel)

Lindbergh, Monday to Thrusday, except holidays : 21.51 - 22.21 - 22.51 - 23.51 - 0.51 - 1.51

Lindbergh, Friday - Saturday (& on the eve of holidays) : 21.51 - 22.06 - 22.21 - 22.36 - 22.51 - 23.06 - 23.36 - 23.51 - 0.06 - 0.21 - 0.36 - 0.51 - 1.06 - 1.21 - 1.36 - 1.51

Lindbergh, Sunday & holidays (*) : 21.51 - 22.21 - 22.51 - 23.21 - 23.51 - 0.21 - 0.51 - 1.21 - 1.51

The fare for both legs is only 1 euro- just tell the N200 driver your final destination is Nice Ville and hold onto your ticket to use on the N4

Hope this helps

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice - Beach advice! (for a backpacker!)

Just on the Antibes bit of your question!

The beach of La Gravette is indeed about 15 mins walk from the station. Altho crowded as mentioned in high season it tends to thin out end July due to heat and everyone going to lunch around 12 - 3pm. But nicest 5pm and afterwards.

Now, I will let you into a little secret but don't tell everyone as I swim here - the small pebbly beach behind the Bastion St Jaume ( a couple of archways along from La Gravette) is fabulous, clean, deep and less crowded. That is, if we dont have too many jellyfish this year.

The beaches on the Garoupe are walkable altho not perhaps in the heat of summer ( about 40 minutes from the centre of Antibes). You can get the No.2A bus however altho it is not too frequent - the schedules are on the internet from Envibus site.

Ed

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice - Beach advice! (for a backpacker!)

I should have said the beaches on the Cap d'Antibes are walkable - including the fabulous Garoupe beach about 40 mins walk from the centre of Antibes. The Garoupe is of course the 'bright tan prayer mat' that opens F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel 'Tender is the Night'. A beach to die for with a fabulous view of the Alps and worth hobbling there in any way possible even if you miss the bus! Tell me it isn't worth it.

Ed

london
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice - Beach advice! (for a backpacker!)

thanks everyone really helpful!!

We have decided to spend all 3 night staying in Juan Les Pins as we want a bit of a boogie!

I assume there will be a night bus to get us home if i went out in antibes where my friend lives? i know they are fairly close together anyway!

Thanks a bunch!

9. Re: Nice - Beach advice! (for a backpacker!)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2010, 05:17