We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon tea at Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild

UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Afternoon tea at Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild

Anyone done this? Is it good? I'm a Fortnum's/Ritz gal so I have high standards, just wondered how posh it is.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,503 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon tea at Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild

We were there only for lunch, but I imagine afternoon tea would be very, very nice--especially given the spectacular view. I don't think the tea room would be called posh, however, as many of the visitors are on the casual side.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
731 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon tea at Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild

Just an ordinary cafe in a lovely setting I'm afraid it's definitely not tea at the Ritz. Pity, as it could be wonderful if it were done properly.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
293 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon tea at Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild

I would love to have lunch or afternoon tea here, is it really expensive?

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,503 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon tea at Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild

Here's information on the tea room, with prices:

villa-ephrussi.com/en/…

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
293 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Afternoon tea at Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild

Thank-you!

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Afternoon tea at Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild

The gradens are wonderful and so are some of the rooms, but there is a slight air of a building looked after by people who do not own it. The cafe is one such area, although the food is reasonable value and quality it is not outstanding. But eat and enjoy, it is the only option within a couple of miles of the Villa.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Afternoon tea at Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild

IMO there are many nicer places for a tea/coffee or a meal on the seafront at St Jean, which is about a ten minute walk from the Ephrussi.

Toronto
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Afternoon tea at Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild

ChicChantal - please give - I'd love to hear your suggestions. One of my concerns is that I will be in Nice starting September 15. Do you suppose much will be closed second half of September in Cap Ferrat?

Thank you

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Afternoon tea at Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild

The thing about Cap Ferrat is that its actual residents are hardly ever there: second home or in most cases third or fourth. So its economy mostly runs on visitors, and that doesn't tail off really until mid October.

Ephrussi's tearoom is modelled on British Rail circa 1950. The view however is peerless. The French equivalent of the National Trust that owns it does heritage, not catering. For that, as everyone says, nip down to St Jean. The view is not quite as good, but the catering is better. I would go for aperatif on the terrace of the Voile d'Or

CC's Ritz Experience will be found probably only in Monaco at the Luxe Hotels - tea at the Hotel de Paris or L'Hermitage should set you back a few euro.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
293 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Afternoon tea at Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild

Can you simply drop into Hotel de paris for a cocktail? Would there be a strict door policy?