We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with itinerary, please :)

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
284 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with itinerary, please :)

Im spending 7 nights in Nice at the end of the month. I want to see quite alot of the cote d'azur without it all seeming rushed. I would be VERY grateful if anyone could help me with my itinerary and answer some of the many questions I have surrounding my trip.

Day 1: Arrive at Nice airport at 13:50. Get the 98(?) bus into the city centre. Which stop should I get off for the Beau Rivage hotel?

There is a cycle tour departing at 3 o clock close to our hotel but im guessing we will never make it? If not, we will spend the rest of the day getting to know the area on foot.

Day 2: Bus it to Villefrache sur-mer and have a walk around there. (Board the same bus?) to Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild (is lunch terribly expensive here?) then walk to Saint jean-cap-ferrat. From here get the bus to Eze village, spend a few hours here then get the bus back to Nice.

Day 3: Today we get the bus to Monaco/monte carlo (I still don't know the difference) and spend a good few hours here. Debating whether to travel onto Menton from here or head back to Nice.

Day 4: Spend the day on the Beau Rivage Beach. Possibly take a walk around to the port and take the coastal cruise for 1hour.

Day 5: Is it possible to do both Cannes and Antibes in one day? Are the train links easy enough to work out?

Day 6: Spend today in Nice

Day 7: Not sure about my final day trip. Possibilities include: St paul de vence, Entrevaux on train des pignes, or maybe even the cruise to Île Sainte Marguerite and Corniche d'Or?

Does this all seem feasible? If anyone could identify the bus no.s that i need to catch for my trips that would be a great help too!

Thanks everyone :)

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,148 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with itinerary, please :)

Day 1: Bus 98 is correct. Get off just after the bus turns off the promenade and you will be a three minute walk from the hotel. I am a life long cyclist but see no point in cycling in Nice. You will see more on foot and it will be much safer.

Day 2: Bus 81 or 100 to Villefranche. 81 is usually less crowded. Then bus 81 to Villa Ephrussi (Not that IMO it is worth visiting) Then 10 min walk to St Jean.

To get to Eze you need to walk to Beaulieu, get bus 100 or train to Eze Bord de Mer and then bus 83 or walk steeply up hill on rough track to the village. I think this is too much for one day and suggest you do Eze on day three on the way to Monaco, bus 112.

Day 3; Eze, then Monaco. I am not keen on Menton but some people love it.

Day 5: Train to Antibes and then Cannes, easy to do in one day.

Do keep flexible. A sunny day is necessary for Eze.

Others will fill in the gaps, disagree on Ephrussi and Menton, suggest other places. At least we can all agree that the weather will be hotter than you are used to (I was brought up in Ulster) and you will have a really great time.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with itinerary, please :)

get the 98 from the airport to Albert 1er stop

You will most likely gte to your hotel before the cycle tour departs but i wouldn't think you'd have time after to checking in to chatch a breath

You can take bus 100 to villefranche or bus 81

Bus 81 is the bus which goes to Cap ferrat , 100 goes to monaco and then menton

The stop on the 81 route for the villa rothschild is 'Passable'

on day 2 the problem is getting to Eze village - you could take ther 81 from cap ferrat to beaulieu train station stop or walk from cap ferrat to beaulieu by the Maurice Rouvier walkway then take the 100 to Eze bord de mer train station then get bus 83 up to Eze village - returning by the 82 or 112 direct to Nice

this is the timetable for the 83 bus -there aren't a lot of buses on this route per day

lignedazur.com/ftp/…20OK.pdf

cannes and antibes are easy to do by the train in one day

Monte carlo is an area within the principality of Monaco- its not the capital or a town on its own, as Monaco is a city-state and really tiny.

Its easy to do monaco and Eze village on the same day or monaco and menton [both by bus]

of the longer day trips i would say go to entrevaux or ils sainte amrgeurite and the conriche d'or but these are quite tiring so it might depend on how you feel after seeing everything else.

You don't buy tickets for the train des pignes in advance UNLESS you are also reserving the steam trian ride which is an optional extra that runs on certain days

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with itinerary, please :)

Thanks so much for your quick replies! I see you both think that Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild is not worth the trip? Id love to hear other suggestions for day trips? Thanks again

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with itinerary, please :)

I've never been to Villa rothschild- its not my cup of tea really- i've always intended to go sometime at some point , though my father in law liked it when he visited

The closest bus stop for villa rothschild is named 'Passable' lol

I'm a fan of Villa Kerylos in Beaulieu when it comes to fancy houses - created for the archaeologist Reinach and based on ancient greek and roman houses, furnitures, ornaments etc - most impressive if you are interested in ancient history

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,278 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with itinerary, please :)

Villa Ephussi-Rothschild is for people who love gardens mainly. The Villa itself is quite nice but it's the gardens and the surroundings that are very nice to awesome depending where you are. View of Villefranche is something to see. Visit should take an easy 2 hours.

weston-super-mare...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with itinerary, please :)

Hi

Further to previous posts

Why not take the petit train leaves regularly from about the promenade about 7 euros takes you to the castle (10 min stop) and all round Nice. takes about 45 min. You can also take the open top bus which offers hop on hop off facility over several days.

Have done both Villefrache and the Villa using the 81 bus. Have caught this from the bus station easily to find.

on Villefrache get off at the stop called Octroi.

on Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild - "passable" is the stop .

Both beautiful.

The cruise from the port, advise booking as busy leaves at 11.00 then 15.00 cost 15 euros.

enjoy your stay!

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with itinerary, please :)

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Really cannnot wait for my trip :)

8. Re: Need help with itinerary, please :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2010, 06:17