We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice to San Remo day trip on train?

Bolton
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Nice to San Remo day trip on train?

We are looking to go to San Remo in Italy for the day from Nice by train. I have been on the sncf site and noticed the times etc of trains...is it really necessary to prebook and if so how do i do this. You dont seem to be able to book if your in the UK. We could book a couple of days earlier in Nice if necessary. Please advise. Also any tips on whats on etc in San Remo for next week. Cheers

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice to San Remo day trip on train?

No you don't have to prebook your ticket you can buy it on the day of travel from the main station in Nice.

The journey along the coast is very scenic and San Remo is a historic town with a harbour which is good for wandering about and exploring.

Bolton
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice to San Remo day trip on train?

cheers for your help

Windermere, Florida
Level Contributor
752 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice to San Remo day trip on train?

We did this exact same trip some years ago and found it be very fun, but our pointo of Origin was Cannes. Our orginal intent was just to be able to say we had been in Italy, but we really loved San Remo. Had a great lunch there and even had time to stop off in Monaco on the way home!

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,178 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice to San Remo day trip on train?

I encourage you to take this trip. It's very easily done in a day, and the tickets are unbelievably good value - only 5 euros each way. San Remo is lovely, and the food fantastic. Buy your tickets on the day, but get to Nice station in good time as the queue to buy tickets can be long (depending on the time of year, and day of the week, of course).

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice to San Remo day trip on train?

Go on Saturdays to see the market in the morning. Take the 8h32 train to Vintimille (I think the rates are 11 euro return) then get into the Vintimille train station and buy your return tickets for Sanremo (around 2 euro). I know you can get a train that goes direct to Sanremo (it is the train from Nice to Milan) but the sooner you getr in Sanremo the better it is.

Market shuts down at noon. For an excellent spaghetti carbonora go to Il profumo del Misto, a small restaurant on the piazza you will cross to get to the shopping streets and the market (follow the signs for the mercato)

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice to San Remo day trip on train?

Profumo de musto proved to be an excellent choice. Down the street towards Corso Garibaldi there was a very good gelateria also known by the name Garibaldi. Excellent quality and attentive service Old city was like stepping back to medieval time as we strolled on a late December afternoon.

San Remo is worth the trip and surprisingly different from Nice.

La Condamine, Monaco
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice to San Remo day trip on train?

Direct trains ie. without the change in Ventimiglia leave at 10.05 (direction Basel) or 14.05 (Milan). Best to avoid waiting too long in Ventimiglia (unless you go to the Friday morning market there), it's an ugly place so try to get the fast train to San Remo.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice to San Remo day trip on train?

The 10:05 train to Sanremo comes intoo late for the market, you only have 30 minutes to spare in the market. Leave earlier and transfer in Ventimiglia, even if the train station is dirty and crummy.

Wales
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice to San Remo day trip on train?

I'm thinking of doing this trip, flying into NIce. Does anyone have a recommendation of which would be a better place to spend most of my time (about 10 days) - Nice or Sanremo?

Thanks.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
731 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice to San Remo day trip on train?

San Remo was discussed in some detail in August on this forum and I am sure some of the information will be useful to you. The link is here:

http://tinyurl.com/oqrek

I am a bit negative about San Remo as I didn't care for the long walk to and from the centre to the new train station; just missing the train back to Nice didn't help my mood either especially when the next one was delayed :-)

best wishes