We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Value Hotel

UK
Level Contributor
346 posts
431 reviews
Save Topic
Best Value Hotel

The Hotel Regence (number 9) on Trip Advisor ratings is a good value hotel (breakfast 6euros) with consistant good comments.

The Mercure Grimaldi has a deal on at the moment (3 nights for price of 2 with breakfast included ) .. and though more expensive and is a higher star rated hotel it is 41 in the TI ratings.

Any frequent travellers out there can give advice on these two hotels for an October booking ?

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Regence
Hotel Regence
821 Reviews
Nice, France
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,294 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Value Hotel

I pay no attention to star ratings in French hotels. Stars are awarded for such things as number and size of rooms, presence of a lift and phone facilities. They do not reflect quality and, in my experience two star hotels can often be better in every way than three star. Small two star hotels often have the owners on the premises, people who have every incentive in looking after their guests (although not all see it this way!) I have stayed in around a dozen hotels in Nice have found smaller two star to be better than larger three or even four star. By better I mean clean, a decent bathroom, a quiet location and friendly staff and, in summer, decent air conditioning. I have no interest in room size, lifts, phones, public areas or flashy receptionists. There are hundreds of places to get breakfast in Nice, all better value than any hotel.

I have never stayed in either of the hotels you mention but I would go for the one with the better average rating.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Value Hotel

Family friends stayed at Regence and were delighted with it, quite basic but clean, situated in the heart of the Pedestrian area. Agreat base to explore Nice and surrounding area.

Go for it !!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Regence
Hotel Regence
821 Reviews
Nice, France
JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Value Hotel

We just got back from staying 3 nights at the Regence.Like everyone says, the location is great.It just can't be beat, and the street it is on(rue Massena), becomes a pedestrian only street after 11 am.It is full of outdoor cafe's and restaurants. Good pastry and gelato places too. I would suggest not to get the breakfast at the Regence. The bakeries looked so much better, and the coffee they use is instant in a machine.

As for the hotel, ask for a quiet room. We were on the 3rd floor overlooking rue massena, and the noise wasn't bad. The 1st or 2nd floor would not have been good. There are also rooms facing the back that should be quiet.

For the price we were all happy with the Regence.We were only there to sleep.Usually I do like 4 or 5* hotels, but wanted to save money on this leg of our trip. The room is very basic, but the bed was comfortable. The shower was just OK, and had no place to put the soap, which was strange. It was fine for 3 nights. There was no place except the small closet for putting away clothes. There was a safe, and flat screen tv on the wall. The front desk staff were nice. I would stay again , but only for a trip of 3 days or less.

Best restaurant we found was right on that street, tucked away in a little courtyard(very pretty). It was called La Maison de Marie.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Regence
Hotel Regence
821 Reviews
Nice, France
La Maison de Marie
La Maison de Marie
2,082 Reviews
Nice, France
UK
Level Contributor
346 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Value Hotel

Thank you every one. As ever Trip Advisors have the answer !!!.

We are staying 6 nights in Nice and will book the Regence - a room without a view - but quiet !!!

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Regence
Hotel Regence
821 Reviews
Nice, France
5. Re: Best Value Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2010, 06:16