We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Grimaldi or Hotel Suisse in Nice?

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Grimaldi or Hotel Suisse in Nice?

Spending 5 days in Nice in February and have narrowed my hotel choice down to the Hotel Grimaldi and the Hotel Suisse. Does anybody have any recommendations for either of these hotels? Which hotel has the best location in Nice? Would be grateful for any ideas. Thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
448 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Grimaldi or Hotel Suisse in Nice?

Funny I had the same question myself. It all depends on your definition of "best location." I suggest doing a search on both hotel names here in the forum and also reading the tripadvisor reviews on each hotel. I opted for the Hotel Suisse because I wanted a sea view and to be located close to the old town. You can read my review both in the forum and tripadvisor (Jul 5, 2005 "Great Views, Great Location" A TripAdvisor Member, Chicago, Illinois). I have no regrets on my choice and would definately stay there again. I do understand that the Grimaldi is closer to the train station. I mainly used the bus to get to the other towns like Ville Franche, St. Paul de Vence, Eze Village, Monaco, and Antibes. Good luck and I hope you have as wonderful a visit as I did.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,113 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Grimaldi or Hotel Suisse in Nice?

I'm sure you'd be happy with either hotel; both get consistently good traveller reviews. Le Grimaldi is more centrally located, but Hotel Suisse is closer to the old town, my favourite area. It depends whether you want to be in the centre of Nice (and yes, Le Grimaldi is closer to the station), or whether that's even an issue for you.

Bristol
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Grimaldi or Hotel Suisse in Nice?

Thank you for both of your comments. I found m&m56's review very helpful and think I am going to opt for Hotel Suisse as the views sound amazing. Do you have any idea how long it would take to walk to the railway station from Hotel Suisse? Thanks again.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,113 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Grimaldi or Hotel Suisse in Nice?

I think it's approximately 2 km (perhaps 2.5 km) from the station, but M&M56 may know for sure.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
448 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Grimaldi or Hotel Suisse in Nice?

I'm not sure of the exact distance to the train station but it is quite a hike if you're walking. One day we took the bus to Antibes, it was maybe a little over an hour by bus. We decided to take the train back to Nice and it was a very fast train ride but the walk back was at least a half an hour. So if you're planning on taking the train alot, that may be a consideration. The bus station is probably a 10 minute walk through the old town. Hope this helps.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Grimaldi or Hotel Suisse in Nice?

It's a pretty long walk if you have heavy bags with you. Are you flying into Nice? If so bus 98 brings you to Gare Routière, which is about 15 min walk from Hotel Suisse.

Bristol
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Grimaldi or Hotel Suisse in Nice?

Thanks for the information. I am flying into Nice but had read that you can book a shuttle bus through ATS which will take you direct to your hotel. Has anybody used this service? Any good?

Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Grimaldi or Hotel Suisse in Nice?

"It's a pretty long walk if you have heavy bags with you. Are you flying into Nice? If so bus 98 brings you to Gare Routière, which is about 15 min walk from Hotel Suisse."

"long walk" and a much longer walk if you make a wrong turn

and need to ask directions...We were sent the long way around..

The Chateau...The name of the Hotel was not all that visible so missed it the first time around...

Anyways can be a chore walking from the Gare Routiere. We were charged 30E for a cab on our return trip to the Nich Airport...A much better choice than the walk from/to the Bus...

Although I have heard that the cabs charge extra for each piece of baggage.

Hotel Suisse is lovely, very hospitable, great locaton near Old Nice, daily market and a wonderful view of Riviera.

If you are going during Carnival the floats go past the Hotel after the parade.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Grimaldi or Hotel Suisse in Nice?

I use ATS shuttles services ALL THE TIME. They are cheap, convenient, they drive you to the door and pick you up at the hotel to go back to the airport. Shared shuttles are quite often not shared at all, so don't bother book a private shuttle. Most drivers speak English and they are always on time.

http://www.a-t-s.net/index.php?id_entity=539

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
448 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Grimaldi or Hotel Suisse in Nice?

I used the ATS shuttle and it was very good. I opted for the shared ride but did not end up sharing on either way. It was nice to have someone waiting at the airport with a sign after a long trip. I thought it was worth it and would use them again.