We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing from Nice

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Skiing from Nice

I'm planning to visit Nice in February and drive up into the mountains on a daily basis to ski. Which would be the best place to go for a beginner, taking into account travel time by car, quality of the experience and facilities and cost of ski lessons and passes?

Olp1e

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing from Nice

are you bringing a car with you? or hiring a car when you arrive?

why not take the one euro bus?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,577 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing from Nice

I'm not a skier. But thought I'd point out that if you are driving, Limone Piemonte in Italy is according to www.viamichelin.com a faster drive than Isola 2000 - and I suspect it's a lower cost resort. It's still a long way from Nice, though.

http://www.riservabianca.it/home.aspx

www.limonepiemonte.it/eng/home_eng.html

But selkieNice's idea of the €1 ski bus to the French resorts does sound very attractive. This is the Isola one isola2000.com/hiver/pdf/santa-azur-hiver.pdf and I think the same company does the others.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing from Nice

from Nice, it's the same time or faster to Isola, not a lot of difference

if you stay in Monaco, Menton... yes Limone is nearest

both cost the same rate : about 28/30 euros a one day pass for the ski station

yes, from Nice, bus 1 euro to Isola or Auron (you have to book it in advance at Nice Bus Station)

Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Menton
Menton
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Nice, France
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing from Nice

One-day ski passes cost €27,20 in Valberg / €28,80 in Auron & Isola / €33 in Limone. In terms of travel time, Valberg, Auron & Isola are roughly the same (approx 80-90 kms from Nice - driving time 1h30') and as Nice-French-Riviera pointed out, Limone would be the closest if you were staying in the Monaco/Menton area. If you opt for the French resorts, I think Auron & Valberg are much prettier than Isola.

Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Menton
Menton
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Nice, France
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing from Nice

Also, bear in mind that there are 2 weeks school holidays between February 6th - 21st and therefore Auron, Isola & Valberg are likely to be crowded...

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,577 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiing from Nice

No school holidays at that time in Italy - but I suppose Limone could still be affected.

7. Re: Skiing from Nice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2010, 05:18