We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Movie buffs: restaurant in "To Catch A Thief"??

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
118 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Movie buffs: restaurant in "To Catch A Thief"??

going to Nice in September for 3 nights - does anyone happen to know where the outdoor dining scene ("Bertani's" restaurant) in Hitchcock's "To Catch A Thief" was filmed, and if it's still an operating restaurant? I'm just curious, always loved that scene and would love to dine there if it's still around!

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
121 reviews
from US$103.40*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
629 reviews
from US$97.60*
US$108.40
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
401 reviews
from US$132.10*
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
451 reviews
from US$97.60*
US$108.40
Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Movie buffs: restaurant in "To Catch A Thief"??

It was in Monaco. I may be mistaken, but it doesn't exist any more. I think it was somewhere around where the Rascasse (corner and restaurant/bar) is now. I think it was destroyed when the construction work around the port was done in the 60s/70s.

Lake Wylie, South...
Level Contributor
140 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Movie buffs: restaurant in "To Catch A Thief"??

If you are a fan of the "To Catch a Thief" movie (and haven't done so before) you may want to include the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild in St Jean Cap Ferrat on your itinerary. The exterior of the villa and it's extensive gardens were featured in the movie. It is an easy daytrip via Ligne de Azur bus route 81. We did it in 2008, and probably will do it again this year.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
118 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Movie buffs: restaurant in "To Catch A Thief"??

Thank you monacoCabbie - ah, it's a shame that restaurant isn't still around - so picturesque!

navygoat - wow, I didn't know that was the villa in the movie! I actually am looking into visiting it. we're staying in Nice so it's not far at all. now I am really excited about seeing it, and some of the other locations used in the movie. too bad we're not renting a car this trip - would've been nice to recreate the panoramic driving scenes:)

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Movie buffs: restaurant in "To Catch A Thief"??

If you take bus 94 [direction Vence][ you can see the cemetery where Foussard was buried in Cagnes sur mer - Cimitiere de la buffe -also called Vieux cimitiere

http://www.lignesdazur.com/ftp/lignes/Ligne%2094%20ITL%20(au%2005%2001%2009).pdf

Also take bus 82 to Eze village and you are driven across the viaduct by the bus [if you get off in the village you can walk across the viaduct for photos and if you go up beyond Eze village to Plateau de la justice you can look down from some of the camera positions - both walking back down towards Eze village or walking further on from Plateau de la Justice through the natural park for camera positions for some of the car bits on the grande corniche with Cap Ferrat in the background.

http://www.lignesdazur.com/ftp/lignes/ligne%2082%20(au%2004%2005%2009).pdf

and also driving scenese filmed in la Turbie

cg06.fr/cms/…116.pdf

Robie's villa is in St Jeannet

bus 55 from st laurent du var

http://www.lignesdazur.com/ftp/lignes/Ligne%2055%20(au%2001%2009%2008).pdf

or bus 47 from vence

http://www.lignesdazur.com/ftp/lignes_FR/ligne%2047%20(au%2008%2002%2010).pdf

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Movie buffs: restaurant in "To Catch A Thief"??

I have some screengrabs from "To Catch a Thief" (and a few other Hollywood scenes) on the Riviera here:

members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/92d77/#TL

The Steve Martin/ Michael Caine "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" includes a view from Villa Ephrussi's upper floor, not usually open to visitors

But I have to say Ronin tops my Hollywood list. Shoot outs at La Turbie and Nice Port? Dining in Villefranche? Car chase through Vieux Nice? Great location shoots.

Then of course there's Mr Bean....

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
118 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Movie buffs: restaurant in "To Catch A Thief"??

Wonderful! thank you all for the info - I can't wait to see all these places with my own eyes!!

7. Re: Movie buffs: restaurant in "To Catch A Thief"??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 August 2010, 23:05
8. Re: Movie buffs: restaurant in "To Catch A Thief"??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 August 2010, 23:05
u.s.a.
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Movie buffs: restaurant in "To Catch A Thief"??

Sorry guys, but the Rothschild Villa was not used in "To Catch A Thief". This is a common misconception about the film. A villa very near the Rothschild Villa was used for the night scene (when Foussard is killed). The villa used as the Samford Villa is actually in Cannes. All the party scenes were filmed on a set in Hollywood. Tons of great info about the film can be found at lestuffblog.com.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Movie buffs: restaurant in "To Catch A Thief"??

Extraordinary.

The film lasts a little over an hour and a half and it seems some one has spent the best part of a year analysing it, for a "Masters Degree". What it tells me is the disproportionate value placed on academic activity, by academics. Interesting, but not for the reasons I expect the poster wanted.