We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ventimiglia

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Ventimiglia

Is it best to take the bus or train from Nice to Ventimgila in Italy? Also are other Italian towns worth a day dray from Nice as well.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
15 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ventimiglia

the train is faster. No need to worry where to go when you get off the train - just follow all the Nice locals with their shopping bags heading for the market!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,225 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ventimiglia

Trains to Ventimiglla are every 30 minutes and take 50 minutes. The journey isn't really even possible by bus.

The next two towns in Italy which may be worth visiting are Bordighera and San Remo. But for these you have to change trains in Ventimiglia, and that makes it a lot of travelling time for a day trip.

For train times see http://trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html - this will also give you fares from Ventimiglia to other places in Italy if you enter a date within the next seven days, but not the fare from Nice Ville to Ventimiglia which is €6.60 each way.

new york
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ventimiglia

Couple of questions:

Is the Friday market worth going?

What is the hours for the Friday market?

How much time would you allot for that?

When taking the train from Nice, will I need to go through custom? That could take a long time in late April?

Thanks!

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,944 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ventimiglia

The Market at Ventigmilia is well worth a visit - one of the key attractions of the area I suppose - it is vast and people come from a very wide catchment area just to go there. I think a full day is needed - if you have lunch here you will have to have patience on market day as even the normal Italian laid back service is further prolonged due to the numbers.

Ed

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,944 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ventimiglia

Re your question on customs ... no formal inspection occurs on the border these days. However customs officers do travel on the trains and I have heard of ( and read in Nice Matin) of travellers being questioned. What they are looking for is counterfeit goods - not unknown to be sold at the market. A fake Rolex or Gucci handbag could result - and has done - in a stiff fine for the purchaser !

Ed

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,225 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ventimiglia

The advertised market hours are until 5 pm in winter, and 6 pm in summer (from May). But people do sometimes start packing up earlier than this.

Sydney
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ventimiglia

I would say take the train, it's much quicker and is very scenic as you pass through the towns from Nice to Ventimiglia, the trains are clean and frequent.

I would stop at Savona if you have the chance, beautiful beach side town not far from Ventimigila on the Italian side, and if you can-Rapallo and Santa Margherita, these two towns are next to each other on the train whcih runs from Ventimiglia to Genoa (or possibly the same train which runs to Milan-Trenitalia it is)......

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,225 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ventimiglia

Savona is 1.5 to 2 hours away from Ventimiglia while Rapallo and Santa Margherita are typically 3.5 to 4 hours away. Attractive though the latter two places are (I have a rather different view of Savona) I do not think that any of them are really suitable for a day-trip from Nice.

9. Re: Ventimiglia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2010, 06:16