We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Bastille Day week a good time to travel in Nice?

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Bastille Day week a good time to travel in Nice?

We are planning a 7 day trip to the south of France in July, using Nice as a base. Someone told us that it might be too busy to travel on or near Bastille Day (but that's prime time for our holiday). Should we avoid airport travel on the 14th--and will it be extra crowded during the week before and after? Any advice?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Bastille Day week a good time to travel in Nice?

Hi there

My husband and I travelled to Nice from Scotland 2 years ago on Bastille Day and did not have any problems at all.

When boarding the bus from the airport a very helpful French gentleman told us that we should purchase a bus ticket in the airport, and then he himself went to get this for us. How very good was that.

We both loved Nice so much, I'm going back in October by myself as my husband isgoing on a golf holiday. Can't wait.

I'm positive you will enjoy Nice and the French people

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
476 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Bastille Day week a good time to travel in Nice?

We happen to be flying from London into Nice on Bastille Day. Just happened to be the day we had to get there, without realizing it was a national holiday.

We are excited to be there for our first day in France, hoping to find a great spot to view the fireworks! Not sure if it will be more crowded than other times in the summer, but would also like to hear from anyone who has been to Nice around July 14th.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Bastille Day week a good time to travel in Nice?

"Fete Nationale" as its known in France is a public holiday, which means Sunday service on bus and train timetables. That means a slightly reduced service, for example, four an hour becomes three an hour, but everything runs as usual in France - that is, badly. With luck they won't be on strike, as its a holiday anyway.

Its a brilliant day - free concerts everywhere in the evening and the most spectacular firework display best seen from the beach. Its a good day to be in France.

NJ
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Bastille Day week a good time to travel in Nice?

Thanks so much!

5. Re: Is Bastille Day week a good time to travel in Nice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2010, 06:32