We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice is port on cruise - never been - what should we do?

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Nice is port on cruise - never been - what should we do?

There are different options offered by the cruise but we don't have any idea. We usually prefer to book out own port excursions but we have never been to Nice and don't have the slightest idea what we should do as 1st time visitors.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice is port on cruise - never been - what should we do?

First of all are you docking at Nice or Villefranche?

Often cruise brochures say Nice but they actually dock at Villefranche

North Carolina
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice is port on cruise - never been - what should we do?

Thank you for asking. I checked and it says Villefranche.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice is port on cruise - never been - what should we do?

I should have asked which month and day you were travelling too.

Anyway.Villefranche itself is a pretty little town- nice beach and port area and mediaevl section . Its easy to walk to take the bus to Cap ferrat and see the Villa Rothschild [amazing gardens and stately home] and/or Villa Kerylos[ ancient greek and roman style houseand furnishings ] if you are interested in magnificent housesin lovely locations.

A vist to Nice is easy - local buses cost one euro - and you can visit the mahket , old town, port area, etc etc

Also many museums of art and historys, Roman remains etc etc

Nice also has a magnificent russian cathedral - the most imporatant oustide of Russian build in the Moscow style with onion domes etc - definitely worth seeing if that sort of thing interests you

North Carolina
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice is port on cruise - never been - what should we do?

We will be there on Saturday, oct 2nd from 10am-8pm.

I guess my question is if we are going to only be there one day, should we go outside Nice and see something else?

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
861 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice is port on cruise - never been - what should we do?

Plenty to see in Nice . Such a large city . Stick to the old town but dont rely on the buses from Villefranche to get you there . You could have a very long wait at the bus stop . Happy cruising .

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice is port on cruise - never been - what should we do?

The number of 100 buses and 81 buses have been increased considerably recently- i doubt there will be any problem with getting a bus unless lots of folk head to the bus stop from your cruise ship -in which case walk to the next bus stop in the monaco direction and get on before everyone else -or go for a coffee or explore villefranche for a bit

7. Re: Nice is port on cruise - never been - what should we do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2010, 06:18