We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please!! Nice to Pigna ??

northwales
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Help please!! Nice to Pigna ??

Hi,

I wonder if someone could help me please. I am trying to make arrangements to stay in an apartment in Pigna. I understand the nearests airport to be nice so i am arranging flights however i am having difficulty sorting out transfers from nice to Pigna. There are 5 of us, 4 adults and 1 toddler. Taxis appear to be really expensive for this journey unless anyone can recommend a cheap firm. Someone suggested train and then bus from Ventimiglia?? I dont know the areas at all so dont know if this is an option. Can anyone make any suggestions please. I would be really really grateful as I am pulling my hair out at the moment. Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Ventimiglia
Ventimiglia
Italian Riviera, Italy
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,153 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please!! Nice to Pigna ??

Probably the most cost effective way to do this is to take the train from Nice to Ventimiglia (change required at Monaco due to tunnel works) and from Ventimiglia get a taxi to take you the final 15-odd miles inland to Pigna.

There is no such thing as a "cheap taxi" in France. That's an oxymoron.

From Italy there are buses to Dolceaqua and Apricale, possibly Pigna, but its unlikely they run any frequency - without checking I don't know, probably two or three a day, and you don't want to spend two hours at a Ventimiglia bus stop. Taxi the last leg.

Edited: 02 June 2010, 18:44
Mentioned in this post
Ventimiglia
Ventimiglia
Italian Riviera, Italy
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
France
France
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Apricale
Apricale
342 Reviews
Apricale, Italy
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please!! Nice to Pigna ??

Its certainly appears to be possible to get a bus from ventimiglia when you put the details into the

transport in Liguria website

www.orariotrasporti.regione.liguria.it/

but I don't know Pigna at all so there may be better options

I'm pretty sure Perilizia will know the best options

Mentioned in this post
London /Nice
Level Contributor
781 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please!! Nice to Pigna ??

train to Ventimille is the best option; take the 99 bus from the airport to Nice Ville station. train journey is about 50 mins

taxis from Nice woud be very expensive; I do not know how much from Venti or whether there is a bus but its not that far 30 mins maybe

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,401 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please!! Nice to Pigna ??

The full timetable of the bus to Pigna is Linea 7 on rivieratrasporti.it/OrarioInvernale2009-2010… - taking this bus from Ventimiglia station is easily the cheapest way. A single ticket (verde=green) costs (I think) only €1.90 from the train station bar in Ventimiglia. Catch the bus by walking 100 yards downhill to the traffic lights straight out of the station, crossing the road, and the bus stop is next to the lights on the out-of-town side of the road you've crossed, marked by a yellow 'bus' written on the tarmac. When it comes, the bus doesn't have the number written on it, only its final destination. The buses are almost always very small and blue.

Also, there are always taxis at Ventimiglia station, but the journey won't be cheap as it's over 20 km.

Personally, if I was having a holiday in Pigna I'm afraid I would definitely rent a car at Nice airport. Otherwise you will be totally reliant on the infrequent bus to go anywhere at all, and while Pigna does have its delights, it is very small. And in places rather steep!

Edited: 02 June 2010, 19:10
Mentioned in this post
Ventimiglia
Ventimiglia
Italian Riviera, Italy
London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,153 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please!! Nice to Pigna ??

Check that link Perilizia?

Not Found

The requested document was not found on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Web Server at rivieratrasporti.it

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,401 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please!! Nice to Pigna ??

Thanks NiceLife. Another try - rivieratrasporti.it/OrarioInvernale2009-2010…

Edited: 02 June 2010, 19:47
London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,153 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please!! Nice to Pigna ??

Thx Perilizia - good link this time ( I'm slipstreaming this question as I have in mind a bus trip to Dolceaqua - same bus)

If I read the timetable right (Feriale is "weekdays"?) the Route 7 has six outward weekday buses a day to Pigna from Ventimiglia:

06:00; 08:40; 11:15; 13:40; 16:30;19:10

Its about what I thought, every two and a half hours

(Weekend it seems to drop to only two trips to Pigna a day (- not weekday, not Festival)

Down to Robbo if these timings work for you.

Looking more closely at the logistics I'm beginning to find the argument for car rental more convincing.

(BTW Periliza - where have you found the time to do over 4,000 posts!)

Edited: 02 June 2010, 20:29
Mentioned in this post
Ventimiglia
Ventimiglia
Italian Riviera, Italy
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,401 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please!! Nice to Pigna ??

Hi NiceLife - Feriale is best translated as Mondays to Saturdays, and Festivi as Sundays and Public Holidays. Weekdays include Saturday in Italy!

Yes, having now looked at it myself, six buses a day only from Ventimiglia to Pigna on Mondays to Saturdays, and worse on Sundays. For your purposes, there are more to Dolceacqua because it is served additionally by the buses to Rochetta Nervina and Apricale.

And yes, car rental would be much easier for the OP. By car, Pigna is only about an hour and twenty minutes' drive from Nice Airport, and the beach only thirty minutes away from Pigna. By bus, both could sometimes be very difficult.

Edited: 03 June 2010, 01:05
Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Ventimiglia
Ventimiglia
Italian Riviera, Italy
Dolceacqua
Dolceacqua
322 Reviews
Italian Riviera, Italy
Apricale
Apricale
342 Reviews
Apricale, Italy
9. Re: Help please!! Nice to Pigna ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2010, 08:26