We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day walks ex Nice Vs Cinque Terre?

Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
day walks ex Nice Vs Cinque Terre?

Hi could anyone p[ls advise if

1, would you suggest the walks nearby to Nice are as good as Cinque Terre, if so which ones. if not.

2. Is getting to Cinque Terre easy to acces by train or bus from Nice ? is it doable in a day.would you suggest a ferry/boat

3. we are so interested in this whole region we are thinking of cutting Paris down and adding more days down south!

thanks everyone for excellent comment in planning this trip so far HT97

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
126 reviews
from US$104.40*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
631 reviews
from US$98.50*
US$109.40
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
455 reviews
from US$98.50*
US$109.40
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
403 reviews
from US$133.30*
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,215 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day walks ex Nice Vs Cinque Terre?

1. Nice is a large city, and most of the coast around it is also built up. The Cinque Terre are five tiny villages surrounded by rugged countryside.

2. The only public transport from Nice to the Cinque Terre is by train. This would take at least 5 hours and would require at least 3 changes of train. It is 280 km between the two places. You cannot do a day trip. Even by car on the motorways it would take at least 3 hours (plus any stops) each way.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,930 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: day walks ex Nice Vs Cinque Terre?

As sydneynick points out such a trip could only be done by using two bases and taking trains between them. There is no ferry.

Altho' Nice is indeed a biggish built up area there are excellent coastal and mountain walks within an hour or so - Eze, Cap d'Ail to Monaco, Cap Ferrat, St Anges, Cap d'Antibes etc etc as well as higher into the alpine reaches of the Mercantour National Park.

Ed

Edited: 22 June 2010, 06:28
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day walks ex Nice Vs Cinque Terre?

Depends what you mean by "near" Nice. Think of Nice as a base from which to get easily to nearby places which have stunning walks.

The best walks with superb viewpoints are those along the Grande corniche and radiating from La Turbie high above Monaco. Thats near Nice, yes?

Then there are the Sentier Littoral - coastal paths - around the circumference ot Cap d'Antibes, Cap Ferrat, and much of the coast to and beyond Monaco.

Lastly there are the up hill down dale variety, such as the walk up to the Phare above Antibes, and the down from the hills around Nice, such as the Canal de Gairaut

Not forgetting the wonderfully relaxing and peaceful walks around the iLes de Lerin off Cannes.

And probably a few more I've yet to discover.

Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day walks ex Nice Vs Cinque Terre?

thankyou all three replies...i think what may sway me between the two, is the possibilty of heading into the country around and in the national park Mercantour it looks fantastic! is there transport from Nice into this National park? how far is it?if so,how do I access the info and do anybody know where might be a good place to stay if overnighting in that area? I think I am getting there now, thankyou all.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day walks ex Nice Vs Cinque Terre?

you can take buses or trains to the edges of the mercantour

buses cost one euro and the majority start from nice

train also starts from nice [train des merveilles line]

some places to stay overnight

tende, la brigue, breil sur roya, sospel,.st martin vesubie , casterino , beuil,

nb -its always a good idea to have some cash with you when inland as card machines might be non existent or out of order due to faults -its not much fun to be told the next cash machine is 25km away over a mountain pass.

Brighton, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: day walks ex Nice Vs Cinque Terre?

There is a new bus service to St Martin Vesubie that starts from the Nice bus station designed for walkers to go into the hills and get back in a day. It was started to reduce the traffic up into the hills.

cg06.fr/cms/…730ete.pdf

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day walks ex Nice Vs Cinque Terre?

There was always a bus service to st martin vesubie but this is an additional summer express bus service for 5 euros return which also includes the option of free connnections with navettes to le boreon/ lac superieur and madone de fenestre.

you can also pay on the navette the one euro for the navette ticket or use a ticket azur.

The express bus option is 7am to st martin and 17hr return from st martin

Sadly ,the express serrvice finishes for the summer on the 31st august and there are no updates yet about the navette service after that date

Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day walks ex Nice Vs Cinque Terre?

sadly, I have just torn my knee ligament and the walking will be limited somewhat to the coast .....thanks for all the info.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day walks ex Nice Vs Cinque Terre?

I'm sorry to hear about your injury , happytraveller97.I hope you feel better soon

If there are any places you are thinking of visiting, we could give opinions on how suitable they are fro folk with knee/mobility issues.

Edited: 22 August 2010, 13:35
10. Re: day walks ex Nice Vs Cinque Terre?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2011, 05:16