We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speedos on the Beach

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Topic
Speedos on the Beach

I know in France Men are required to wear speedos at public swimming pools (and according to my neighbor a lot of hotel pools enforce that as well).

My question is thus regarding the beach. I know you can wear whatever you want - but I'm just curious what most Men wear to the beach in Nice.

Yes, I know many americans and british people in particular frown or laugh at them. I won't attempt to analyze why, but there are many websites and internet forums that do.

I personally hate those baggy board shorts. I don't find them comfortable when they cling to you and weigh you down when wet and take days to air dry. I've worn speedos in places like Miami Beach and in the Bahamas where a lot of Men wear them and you don't stick out (although sticking out in a crowd doesn't bother me when you are able to pull off the look.) :-P

Just wondering if a majority of men wear them in Nice or not.

Edited: 08 July 2010, 01:40
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Speedos on the Beach

the ratio of droopy shorts to speedos depends a lot on the age range on the beach A lot of young guys wear the board shorts on the beach now , though not all .

Daniel craig type speedo short shorts are quite popular with all ages

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,532 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Speedos on the Beach

I had never thought about this until this moment but having done so I realise there are more speedos than formerly - but the older baggy shorts and newer boxer type shorts absolutely predominate. For men that is. Speedos do appear to be favoured by older men, unless you're Italian.

The only thing that the fashion police seem down on on the beach this year are Crocs ( those beach shoes with holes) - I understand these are an absolute fashion no-no - which is a shame as a lot of people might consider them useful on the pebbly Nice shore!

Ed

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Speedos on the Beach

Strange that, with an ever expanding waistline, older men should favour an ever diminishing swimming costume. The older man in a posing pouch is not a pretty sight.

Not to neglect the ladies, sixty years of determined sunbathing turns the skin into something approaching the texture of a brown paper bag. However that doesn't seem to stop some of the ladies going topless.

The beaches here are a peoplewatching experience. More or less anything goes.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,532 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Speedos on the Beach

I think some of us older men wear Speedos because we discovered we still have them in our wardrobes back from when they were last in fashion some 30 years ago. A bit tighter though.

Ed

London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Speedos on the Beach

Ah, its "retro-chic", now I get it.

The days of a 28" waist size are long gone, Ed. In the back of my wardobe the only thing thirty years old that still fits is a scarf.

Sydney
Level Contributor
86 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Speedos on the Beach

Nobody should laugh at your 'budgie smugglers' (aussie slang), they are always in fashion????

Wear them with pride :)

Quasar

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Speedos on the Beach

VTJedi you will be at the forefront ...

Budgie smugglers are becoming a fashion statement again :)

telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/7808418/Sp…

telegraph.co.uk/fashion/fashionpicturegaller…

Seem to recall reading somewhere else that Cristiano Ronaldo is to blame

London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Speedos on the Beach

There is an alternativesto budgie smugglers

…blogspot.com/2007/01/borat-en-bikini-waouh.…

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Speedos on the Beach

Eeeee gads !! :-)

A trip to the lake, sea or just about any camp ground, here in France, never ceases to amaze me. Always good for a laugh.

I'll agree with NiceLife, it just doesn't work well for some folks. I've seen some men wearing speedos that you actually have to take a second look to even see (the speedo that is). It is very well hidden by a large protruding belly.

And don't even get me started on the women.

Whatever, ... to each his own I guess.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Speedos on the Beach

Lolo Ferrari used to be a frequent visitor to the beaches in Antibes - people never batted an eyelid there - but she used to cause quite a stir when wandering around the provencal market in skimpy halterneck tops.

whatever your size or shape there will be someone much much more attractive or conversely much worse looking -thankfully folk are pretty blasé about the quantity skin on show.

Edited: 08 July 2010, 12:21