We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need a hotel with a pool?

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Do we need a hotel with a pool?

We (my boyfriend and I) are staying in Nice for a week at the end of August and at present have booked the Hotel Villa Rivoli.

However, we've just come back from a week in Turkey (yes, I know it was a lot hotter there than I assume Nice will be!) but we loved having the swimming pool to enjoy relaxing in and around in the heat and are now wondering whether we will miss this when we come to Nice?

I have read about the beach in Nice being stoney, expensive and also not as nice as others nearby and was wondering what your thoughts were?

I read on here that Villefrance has a lovely beach, is it feasible for us to spend a day on the beach there which would make up for a lack of pool?

Obviously, we are looking forward to doing some sightseeing too and seeing a lot of the area as we haven't been to Nice before but I'm now wondering whether maybe we should change our hotel.

Your thoughts and comments are much appreciated - thank you!

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
126 reviews
from US$104.80*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
631 reviews
from US$98.90*
US$109.90
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
455 reviews
from US$98.90*
US$109.90
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
403 reviews
from US$133.80*
Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we need a hotel with a pool?

You do not need a pool in Nice, and most hotels do not have them. The beach is rocky. The private areas cost about 15 euros per day per person and public areas are free.

We love Villefranche for numerous reasons, especially the free pebble/sand beach. Villefranche is very close and an easy 1 Euro bus ride.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we need a hotel with a pool?

Only a few hotels have a pool in Nice - the very very expensive ones, which often have rooftop pools, and others which are poorly situated and need some kind of attraction to make up for it. Its not a good combination. Land prices on the cote d'azur mean city pools don't make economic sense. If its that important, you might consider renting a villa with a pool, somewhere like Grasse. Price in thousands to match

For a good sandy beach experience you need to travel, east by bus to good beaches, like Villefranche, Beaulieu or Cap d'Ail's Plage Mala. Or train to Antibes or Cannes.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,640 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we need a hotel with a pool?

You might also consider one of the many B&Bs with pools between Cannes and Grasse.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we need a hotel with a pool?

Thanks for your replies. We've decided we're happy with the Hotel we've picked, pool or not, and I think it's was just a bit of post holiday blues after Turkey that prompted my sudden desire for a pool!!

We shall enjoy the beach at Nice and hopefully travel a bit further affield to explore other beaches in the area as well as exploring the area.

Thanks again for replying - much appreciated! I'm sure I'm going to think up some more questions to ask before our trip in 2 weeks!

5. Re: Do we need a hotel with a pool?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2011, 05:18