We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passports safe in Apartments

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
181 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Passports safe in Apartments

I have read many postings theft from hire cars but nothing regarding apartments. We are travelling to Nice for two weeks and staying in an apartment. On all our other travels we have always stayed in a hotel and ensure the room had its own safe. However this is impossible to find in an apartment. My question are our passports etc safer on us in backpack, money wallet or similar or best hidden in the apartment.

Your advice will be very welcomed.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,454 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passports safe in Apartments

Every apartment I have used in France has had very secure doors and windows. Your passport will be much safer in the apartment than on your person.

In any case, I don't think anyone sets out to steal passports these days. There are too many security features to make casual theft worthwhile.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Passports safe in Apartments

Satistically speaking, the chances of your apartment being broken into are very low. However each day you carry your passport on your person or in a backpack to run the risk of losing it or having it taken e.g. you put your bag down and someone takes it.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,944 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Passports safe in Apartments

I agree with above - your passport is much safer in your apartment than out of doors. Note however that legally everyone in France ,including tourists, is supposed to carry their identity card or passport. Suggest you photocopy the passport page that has your photo and number - always a good idea anyway.

Ed

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passports safe in Apartments

During some strict controls of tickets AND ID on the trains this summer at villefranche, juan les pins and beaulieu it was discovered that many tourists had not purchased tickets and were not carrying ID - which was not a good combination as it involves both a fine and a trip to the police station to prove identity which must have been loads of fun during a holiday.

Times you MAY be asked for ID -

in a shop if you are buying high value goods or even in supermarkets over 100 euros in some places.

If you commit or are suspected of commiting some kind of offence - not having valid ticket, parking infringement, speeding

giving a witness statement

On trains or in cars close to italian border. and randomly in ports airports and stations

in a museum etc when getting an audio commentary machine

at the post office when dropping off parcels or packages

these are off the top of my head

Edited: 12 September 2010, 11:51
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,216 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passports safe in Apartments

Just to reinforce. There is a legal requirement to carry ID at all times. I suspect that for a foreign visitor this means a passport but I carry my driving licence in the hope that this would suffice. In ten years of spending long periods in France I have never been asked for ID but the French authorities can be very legalistic and difficult when they are in the mood.

My impression is that break-ins are common for villas in quiet places but seem rare for flats in the towns and cities. Until recently I was reluctant to believe stories of gas being used to knock people out before thieves gained entry but recently I met someone, normally a very light sleeper, who is convinced that it happened to him and his wife as their bedroom was searched thoroughly while they slept before money and jewelry was taken.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
181 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passports safe in Apartments

Thanks to everyone who has given us their advise and opinions, your time is so greatly appreciated.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passports safe in Apartments

Be careful when you "hide"' your passport in your apartment. I once travelled on business (in Paris actually) with a colleague who always taped his passport under a drawer in his hotel room. We were in Reims for the weekend then drove back to Paris to get our flight home. Long story short - I flew back alone.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,497 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passports safe in Apartments

passports are no longer targets of theft -- anecdote -- in our only brush with crime in Europe a burglar in London entered out apartment (the owner had left it unsecured i.e. only single locked after finishing cleaning) and a thief stole all the valuables from my son's backpack -- except the passport

every apartment we have ever rented has been very secure (even our London apartment had a terrific secure lock -- but you did have to throw the double bolt for it to work) they routinely make sure homes have security locks and that windows are well secured

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
181 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passports safe in Apartments

Some interesting stories from everyone, obviously we need to be on our guard all the time and take time to secure the apartment when leaving. The apartment we are renting is quiet new and therefore I hope good locks are in place. I do beleive though that they probably will be safer in the long run in our apartment. We will not be leaving cash or credit cards as we will devide them between us. Once again thank you for your input

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passports safe in Apartments

Youve had all good advice.For what its worth, our apartment was the site of an attempted break-in, which caused me to think twice about what "secure" exactly means. Initially I assumed it meant "locks" but scrutiny of other apartments revealed the installation of what I discovered is known as an "anti-pass" system, which many but not all had (ie not ours, which is why it was targetted).

Its relatively simple for theives to get a lever in between the door and frame and "pop" it. The antidote is a thin metal frame 3/4"" wide on the door edges which seals off the point of entry between the door and the frame, preventing the insertion of a jemmy.

Now we are secure in the knowledge that if we are ever accidentally locked out, we're sunk.

You will also notice many doors have three locks - top middle and bottom, which prevents the door being kicked in, which is the less sophisticated but effective other way of gaining entry.

Whilst nothing is foolproof, the presence of such deterrents usually results in the thief turning his attention somewhere easier.