We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice to Ventimiglia (Direct Train?)

Scotland
Level Contributor
206 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Nice to Ventimiglia (Direct Train?)

Does the train from Nice go directly to Ventimiglia or do I have to change at Monaco?

Also, can I buy tickets at machines at the train station and are there instructions in English (apologies!)?

Finally, I know that Friday is the popular day to visit Ventimiglia as it's market day. Would this still be an enjoyable trip on other days?

Thank you

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice to Ventimiglia (Direct Train?)

I believe there is tunnel construction going on which now requires a change at Monaco until construction is finished. Normally, it is direct.

Does anyone know when the construction is supposed to end and the direct route returns?

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice to Ventimiglia (Direct Train?)

SNCF site says November 14 should be the date when travel goes back to normal.

Changing in Monaco slows down the travel but depending on the hour you travel it does not make that much difference. Connection is very simple, you get down the train from Nice on one dock and you get in the train to Ventimiglia on the dock just besides. And that works in both direction.

Keep on using the train to get to Menton for instance, definitely faster than bus no 100.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,450 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice to Ventimiglia (Direct Train?)

While SNCF did in the past mention November, its website is showing the change of trains at Monaco as happening right through to the end of the current schedules on December 11, after which times are not yet available for these trains. With major works like this, it may be best to assume that they'll be finished when they're finished!

As for whether Ventimiglia is worth visiting outside market day, in my opinion it is preferable not to go there on Fridays unless you are a markets fanatic. Far more relaxing at other times.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice to Ventimiglia (Direct Train?)

"buy tickets at machines at the train station and are there instructions in English (apologies!)?"

Some advice on local transportation and train ticket machines

…virtualtourist.com/vt/tfr/1/188b0/9/e88aa/

(Other transport tips too)

5. Re: Nice to Ventimiglia (Direct Train?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2011, 07:49