We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strikes - how long for?

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Strikes - how long for?

i thought these were one day strikes but they seem to be continuing

Any indication whether they will stretch into next week? I am flying BA into Nice Sat 23rd. Flying out Sat 30th

Oh, and I will need fuel!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,832 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strikes - how long for?

Nobody knows, including the unions.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,329 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Strikes - how long for?

The most serious aspect seems the blockiade of Marseilles port where most Frenchoil refineries are, rather than the transport strikes. This is so bad it is increasing the price of oil worldwide and may even lead to shortages not only in France but in other countries, e.g. UK.. But let us be optimists and say things could be a lot better next week once everybody lets off steam. Or Not. Good luck with your trip.

Ed

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strikes - how long for?

The Unions sense a coming mass showdown with the government and have no reason to give up. The stand on pensions reform (50bn deficit we are told) is something every preceding government has ducked, and you can see why - its not popular, and politicians would rather be popular.

Seems to me that it will get a lot worse before it gets better, if indeed it ever does. The French are hopelessly ambivalent about strikes, which every one considers a sacred right, however much their lives are disrupted by them.

Every government in Europe has the same problem with pensions and financial deficits. I guess everyone will be watching with more than a passing interest how it plays out in France.

So to answer your question, of course no one knows, but my guess reluctantly is more than a few months

Edited: 19 October 2010, 18:39
Nice, France
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strikes - how long for?

The pensions reform should be voted tomorrow, we might have a better idea then.

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strikes - how long for?

Now there is rioting in Lyon!

6. Re: Strikes - how long for?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 November 2015, 20:51
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Strikes - how long for?

My daughter goes to Lyon tomorrow - i had to re-book her on a train tomorrow due to her original train being cancelled so i could easily have vetoed the trip if i was even slightly concerned about her safety .

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
91 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Strikes - how long for?

Is it hard to find gasoline in Nice? I am driving through the area.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Strikes - how long for?

Certainly, they are trying to bring maximum pressure on before the final Senate vote. It seems likely it will pass, to raise the full state pension age by two years to 67. The question is what will Bernard Thibault and his red-flag-waving CGT chums do when the reforms are passed - give up go home? I very much hope so, but I fear not! That will still leave us all at mercy of the air traffic controllers and their dispute over Europe-wide "Open Skies" plans, unrelated to pensions. And the rest.

Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Strikes - how long for?

Hmm now I am getting a bit worried,, any idea where can I get advance news of any strikes to be held coz I will be flying in to CDG Airport in early Nov via Air France. Thank you.