We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cat's Whiskers, Etc. & Questions

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
177 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Cat's Whiskers, Etc. & Questions

I came back Tues from 2 weeks in Nice at the Roosevelt [really a ten out of ten hotel, and the same for the whole trip]. Regret to inform that I went to the Cat's Whiskers Book Store just a few days before it permanently closed. The woman who has it [22 years] has had to give way to Kindle and to changes in travelers [backpackers few, middle class+ high]. She will continue to sell monthly in that book market.

For anyone searching re safety in solo traveling in Nice, absolutely safe. Walked everywhere I could [lost four pounds], walked late at night - never worried once.

As the dollar is just so broken these days, I economized re restaurants. Having a sandwich sitting by the sea is incomparable. Thanks to those who recommended the Nissart. I was there four times, ate well, paid comparatively little. Davia did not impress. And one night when I truly needed just hot soup [man who sat beside me on the plane over sneezing/coughing up a storm and, of course, I picked it up briefly] went to O'Palermo - 12 euros for a bowl of over-stewed minestrone. Other than that, so very much is available for so little in euros that the whole trip turned out to be a bargain [other than the sweaters I charged]. Even found an 11AM raining Sunday Grappeli-style concert at the Opera House: 7 euros. As it continued to rain, Lafayette [sp?] store helpfully open. The "gourmet" section fun. All of Nice amazingly beautiful. And, "NiceLife," found your information on Virtual Tourist: thanks.

Questions [and I have thought this on all my trips to Paris over the years]: the dogs are so uniformly well-behaved, but there are no signs for obedience schools. How is that done? Ditto for the kids: not once did I encounter a child/toddler having a temper tantrum, a fit, carrying on, attention-demanding.

Merci.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cat's Whiskers, Etc. & Questions

The three French children we know well were properly brought up: they have good manners, don't fuss in public, and will eat just about anything. Being around them is a joy.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cat's Whiskers, Etc. & Questions

Acutely observed, delightful report, thank you.

As regards animal obedience, you have to go 180 degrees. In France it is the owner who obeys the dog, not the other way around. Frou Frou is boss.

And indeed, on the whole, children are delightfully polite and well behaved. There are exceptions of course, but France has managed to maintain an innocence which predates the MTV "finger in your face" attitude you come across so often in big cities.

When kids do misbehave, say on the bus, the driver will tell them off, and they will generally do as they are told. Amazing. What I found suprising is people prepared to tell kids off - here no one dares because they don't want to risk reprisals!

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,653 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cat's Whiskers, Etc. & Questions

Yes, a very nice report Rexaroonie, thank you....

Just a thought about bookshops - it's sad about the Cat's Whiskers but Heidi's in Antibes seems to have a sound market in the yachties... out of range for ebooks most of the time and anyway the old fashioned books are more resilient to salt water. And where else can you find a book with a subject like '80 ways to Fold a Table Napkin' being not only in stock but a Best Seller. The young lady I observed buying one was no doubt a stewardess on (one of) Mr Abramovitch's yachts.

Ed

London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cat's Whiskers, Etc. & Questions

Heidi's certainly has some tiles that make you stop and think. I saw one on financial investing. I assume the tips weren't up to much, since it was in the second hand section for a euro.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,653 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cat's Whiskers, Etc. & Questions

That was probably one of my one ones, NiceLife....... was it '' How to make a Million on the Stock market?'' ( Tip.. start with Two Million).

Ed

London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cat's Whiskers, Etc. & Questions

I think I saw that title in the "Buy one, get one free" bin?

7. Re: Cat's Whiskers, Etc. & Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2011, 05:15