We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cascade de Gairaut

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Bend, IN USA
Level Contributor
184 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cascade de Gairaut

What is the best way to get to the waterfall, Cascade

de Gairaut? I've seen references that there is a wonderful view from up there. Is it best to take the tram to Place Fontaine

du Temple and then get a bus, #63. We will be staying in the old city.

Thank you.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,290 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cascade de Gairaut

Cascade de Gairaut offers a nice view and is a nice site to walk around. I went there way before there was a tram in Nice and I remember it was not obvious to go up there by bus.

The newly suggested itinerary looks easier. Tramway Line 1 from the stop close to Gare Routière (Cathédrale - Vieille Ville) to the Las Planas stop (20 minutes ride). Then Bus 63 Direction Borriglione at stop Le Louret and you get off at Cascade de Gairaut.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cascade de Gairaut

there are various options:

tram to las planas then bus 63 from stop le rouret -

63 timetable

lignesdazur.com/ftp/…29.pdf

OR take tram to tram stop borriglione and take bus 63 from borriglione for an interesting scenic but longer route which passes by pass by the artist Ben's artwork house

http://www.ben-vend-tout.com/pages.php?pID=14 [member of École de Nice ] - bus stop collet pioum gives a good view of the bizzare artwork house [which is across the valley]

from google street view

bens house from collet piou

http://tinyurl.com/37qbv5w

from road outside house

http://tinyurl.com/38rud7r

tram to las planas then bus 25 from stop le rouret

tram to stop Comte de Falicon then bus 76 from stop place fontaine du temple

use same one euro ticket you used on the tram on the bus just revalidate

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,144 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cascade de Gairaut

Up for a more adventure? Another way to access the Cascade is from above. There is a really neat walk alongside the Canal de Gairaut of about a mile - its the Nice joggers preferred route - with wonderful views over the city and which exits a short distance from the Cascade via Auberge du Torteo. The canal starts near the Super Rimiez bus stop (Bus 25) or leave the 22 bus at Les Roses/ Pietruschi and walk a couple of stops around the art deco HQ of the Water Company CGDE .

From the canal side you get a good view over the iconic Chateau d'Azur against a background of the sea. Its truly a walk around the balcony of Nice.

Just beyond the Cascade is a little church, in whose cemetery is buried the notorious former Mayor of Nice Jean Medecin (name given to the main street) buried along with others of the clan.

If you walk back to the Auberge de Torteo and downhill back towards the centre of Nice there is a clasic cafe bar, the Halte de Gairaut for rest the old feet and enjoy a beer.

Gairaut is little gem of an area little known to tourists

Edited: 01 December 2010, 18:48
South Bend, IN USA
Level Contributor
184 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cascade de Gairaut

Many thanks to NiceLife and selkieNice for these informative replies. I'd love to have a hard copy map of the Gairaut area. Is such a map available?

London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,144 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cascade de Gairaut

You need the IGN map (French National Geographic Organisation) 3742 OT

Nice to Menton

Available here from Amazon or buy on the ground at all good bookshops,. as they say

amazon.co.uk/Menton-dAzur-3742OT-Outstanding…

These are for "Randonees" (hiking) and give you all the GR (Grande Randonnee) trails. Probably more detail than you need but indispensible, along with that cool can of beer in your rucksack. I find with maps, more detail is always better.

London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,144 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cascade de Gairaut

Forgot. I put some more Gairaut inside stuff on my VirtualTourist pages here

members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/2e4d28/

See Chateau d'Azur and the Medecin clan resting place along with the Cascade and the canal

7. Re: Cascade de Gairaut

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2011, 05:18