We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cafe where you can sit for a while

Nice, France
4 posts
Save Topic
Cafe where you can sit for a while

I recently moved to this, so far, incredible city, but I have a few problems finding "go-to" places where I can become a regular. What I'm searching for in particular is a cosy, relatively calm (Could be popular, but not loud house music etc.) café that I can go to with a few friends or alone with a book and just sit for a few hours, chatting or reading.

I'm not even sure this is common practice here, or if I will be thrown out because I've only had a coffee. (Guess this would happen more often in the summer when there are more customers to take my place.)

Any ideas from the locals?

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cafe where you can sit for a while

Its quite normal to sit for a while reading or chatting to friends in a cafe but it wouldn't be reasonable to sit for several hours after a single cafe

Also note that getting a coffee on its own is not easy after 6pm as most places start serving aperos

what part of the city do you live in/want to drink your coffee?

Nice, France
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cafe where you can sit for a while

Near Notre Dame, but I have no problem walking down to the promenade, Old Town, Garibaldi etc.

And to clarify, I'm not talking about 4-5 hours after a single coffee, and I'll of course order something more if I feel I've been there for quite a while, I just don't want a place where the waiters are rushing you.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cafe where you can sit for a while

I'm struggling to think of any places where waiters rush people, even in the summer

they might tell you that the table will be needed for lunch or dinner service in x number of minutes, then you have the option of going elsewhere but its not common to be rushed

Maybe on cours saleya which i wouldn't advise as a \local\ anyway.

Basically your best bet is to try a few close to you, see which ones fit the type of ambiance you like and then start going regularly

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cafe where you can sit for a while

I think Le Royal Hotel on the Prom. has a lovely terrace and is great for a coffee and drink. Spent many an hour there chatting or reading. Not expensive either! No hassle from waiters.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cafe where you can sit for a while

Mori's Bar on Rue de France in the pedestrian area

Civette de Cours in the Flower Market,

At Mori's the staff will soon become friends

At Civette, a bit of background music, several people just reading the paper etc.

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cafe where you can sit for a while

Newish wine bar Bloom on av Felix Faure if you want wine. Or the bar IdeeHalles on rue de la Prefecture in the old town. We've also started going to McMahon's again for the Guinness.

Belfast
Level Contributor
298 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cafe where you can sit for a while

You could try "Bar Liber'tea" on the corner of Rue de la Liberte/Place Magenta. Over the past 5 years we have come to know it well and the waiters are in general a friendly bunch. They do great chocolat chaud and certainly we have never been "rushed", although as has been said, you should understand if tables are being kept ready for diners from late in the morning.

"Grand Cafe de Lyon" is near you on Avenue Jean Medecin and is also a nice place to drop in with a Nice Matin. Oh, and the "Love Cafe" in Place Grimaldi, "Les Ponchettes" in the Cours Saleya....etc, etc!

Nice, France
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cafe where you can sit for a while

Thank you, all of you!

These seem like excellent places when the sun comes back, what with the terraces and all. But if I want a place with really cosy indoors, sofas etc. Any ideas?

Belfast
Level Contributor
298 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cafe where you can sit for a while

Love cafe on Rue de France has comfy sofas inside and out. Good luck!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,218 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cafe where you can sit for a while

In my experience it is more of a problem to have an order taken, get the coffee and find someone to accept payment in under an hour. To stay all day in most places all you need do is order something every two hours or so. The contrast with the US where you are expected to move on as fast as possible couldn't be greater.