We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski resorts end of April

South Africa
5 posts
Save Topic
Ski resorts end of April

I have looked throught the forms and not found a similar question.

I will be in Nice end of April 2011.

I would like to take a day trip to one of the ski resorts.

I have never done skiing before and would be going really to see the views. I am keen to try skiing maybe a lesson once I am up there.

1. Would there still be snow on the mountains end of April?

2.Which resort should I go to? it should be on a bus route as I will not have a car.

3. Should I stay over night or would a day be sufficient.?

4. Is it very cold , need to bring heavy snow jackets?

5. How much does it cost to rent SKI equipment and access to slopes/ski school?

Thanks

John

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski resorts end of April

skiing - isola2000 shuts for skiing on the 25/04/11 valberg 17/4/11 - the others will be shutting around the same time - mid april

You can easily get to the ski resorts/mountains from Nice , a day trip now and then is enough for me, but other folk differ in their opinion

express ski buses are 8euros return if booked in advance

www.lignesdazur.com/reservation/?rub_code=139

There will be snow to see /photograph but not necessarily easily accesible - depends on the weather

ordinary buses to the mountains are one euro

you will need warm/windproof clothes but its usually surprisingly warm when active in the snow unless its actively snowy/windy. However it cools down rapidly late afternoon and can be really freezing in the shade

i have no idea about renting ski equipement as i never ski - i prefer snowshoeing [cheap] taking photos and having a nice lunch

Edited: 23 February 2011, 12:04
South Africa
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski resorts end of April

Thanks for the response

I will be in the area from 22/04 to till 1/5

I am happy just to go up the mountains for the view and see the snow. Which resort would be the best accessible to do this? Are there walks or snowmobile rides /Dog sleds :) after the ski season closes or does the resort completely close. Do tourists still go up after ski season.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski resorts end of April

after the ski season, the resorts tend to cater for walkers and folk doing mountain type sports of different kinds Very ski oriented business will close and some businesses will take holidays between end of ski season and summer

snowmobiles are used on snow in the valleys -probably not sufficiant snow at end april

I don't think the dog sledders take passengers out on their training /grass sleds but i believe some do training days/weekends for people who might be interested in taking up the sport

Edited: 23 February 2011, 12:50
Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski resorts end of April

I don't think there will have a lot of snow during your stay

but if there is (not enough to skii or snowmobile in all case), that will be in the largest station : isola 2000 at 1h30 from Nice by car

people starts to go to the beach at this period ;-) even if the water is always cold (17°C ?)

South Africa
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski resorts end of April

Thanks for all the replies , I will try go up to isola 2000 near the 22 April , hope to catch some snow.

6. Re: Ski resorts end of April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 19:19